1997 kdx 220 bogs and stalls at low Rpm and hard to start

Mar 10, 2007
Hello all on my last trail ride, i was out for a few hrs and decided to call it a day, and on my way back to the truck the bike suddenly bogged down real bad and just quit. I figured i finally fouled a plug and would change it later. It took me a few minutes to get it started and when it did it just didn't seem right. It stalled one more time before i got back to the trailer. Today i went out and figured that i would put a new plug in and fire it up, only to discover i had no more plugs, i pulled the old one out (oily) and cleaned it up real good, put it back in and it wouldn't start. I was able to get it bump started but it still bogged down and wanted to stall at low rpm. It started pretty easy when it was warm. This is a bike that has always started first or 2nd kick, i've had it over 3 years now and this is the first problem i've ever had with it. Anybody have any ideas as to what this could be? Sorry for the length. Thanks

Screamn200

Aug 30, 2008
I've had that problem a few times usually has been buggered reeds (I used to go through quite a few until i realised it was keeping it pinned in top gear that was stuffing them) or a blocked pilot jet

Asrith

Jul 18, 2001
I just put new reeds on a 99 220 that was running rough in the mid power and man bike is like way way more responsive. Boyseen power reeds part 11-3060 I believe, I just screwed them in with the stock cage. Very significant power improvement, bike sat a lot, and think they crapped out. This bike also looks brand new too.

Top Bottom