1998 RM125 - No spark today...perfect yesterday

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I had the bike out yesterday for the first time in 6 months. It ran great all day through an entire tank of gas. Got it home and washed it down with soap and water.

Today it wouldn't start, so I pulled the plug and discovered there wasn't any spark. I checked the kill switch and all the wiring to the CDI and coil. I don't see anything apparent. I tried a brand new plug as well. I'm going to try and get ahold of a Volt\Ohmeter and test the coil and CDI according to the repair manual. Does anyone have any ideas?

snb73

Nov 30, 2003
Remove the kill switch from the harness and test. Disconnect every connection and squirt WD-40 in and reconnect. Ohm out the spark plug cap.

Good luck, Steve.

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I'm getting a family member to bring the meter tomorrow, so I'll hit the plug cap and wire.

I did fail to mention that I removed the kill switch, and still no spark. I also dismantled the kill switch to make sure nothing was touching, and it was good.

I'm beginning to think the coil got wet and died. The rubber around the metal mounts coming out of the coil is not tight anymore and maybe water got in there?

rm_racer

Mar 15, 2005
I had the exact same problem on my 94 RM125. It was running perfect, I killed it and and it never started again. I replaced the stator but it made no differance. I am pretty sure it is the coil, I have not replaced it yet but it seems that is the problem. Giver a test and see what you come out with.. Good luck!

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
Yeah, it's funny these damn bikes. I just tested out every part with an Ohmmeter. The coil had the proper resistance, but I was getting no reading from the plug cap...however the plug wire had resistance. So I'm thinking it needs a new cap.

I continued to test everything else while I had the meter. The piece on the stator\magneto\generator (whatever the hell it's called) that picks up the revolutions on the flywheel...it's a black plastic box at the top. I am getting a 100 ohm reading on it, but nothing from the coils inside the flywheel. I also tested the CDI and I'm not getting crap from that. Not a single reading. I love it... Merry Christmas Suzuki!

I guess I'll pick up a new coil, wire, and plug cap tomorrow to see if that does it.

1BAD250

Nov 21, 2006
try getting a hair drier & holding it to the electrical parts you stated for a few min. at a time & keep checking for spark. it may just work

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I want to burn this motorcycle.

I replaced the plug wire and cap..no difference. I'm basically back to the beginning. Am I stuck with buying every $300 electrical part for this thing? What other tests can I do? I'
ll try drying out the electrical to see if that helps.

CDI - $300
Stator\Magneto - $300
Coil - $50
Total - ridiculous.

wirefryer#85

May 26, 2006
Is the interior of the ignition cover wet or dirty? Since it ran fine till you washed it that could very well be it and it takes almost nothing to "soak" an ignition.

I'd try this before spending any more cash. Hook everything back up, remove the ignition cover and drown everthing in WD-40, blow it out with compressed air, and then try to drag start it behind a quad or pickup.

Risky, but it has worked for me more than once, if it won't even try to fire after a block or so then start throwing money at it :( .

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I just ordered a flywheel puller to see what's going on with the stator.

Does anyone know an easy way to test a stator?

It does look like some corrosion is happening inside the ignition (stator,etc). Maybe water did get in there. I don't have anything to drag start it with, but I will try cleaning that all up when I get the puller.

02rm250

Uhhh...
Sep 25, 2006
Do yourself a favor and get a service manual!!!! In the manual for my 02 250 it says to measure resistance at the connector. I dont know if the specs for mine would be anywhere near yours, but if you want Ill give em to you to see if theyre close. The stator should be fine if it wasnt wet inside the cover. I had a 92 that had bad crank bearings and the slop kept ruining stators. Let me know if you want the specs, but I doubt theyll work.

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I have a service manual with the resistance chart for all the connections, but I'm not getting solid readings. I'm beginning to think I don't know how to use an ohmmeter. I took the red and black probes from the meter and connected them to the wires the manual calls for. I'm not getting anything from the leads on the stator. I even set the meter to read volts and kicked it over a few times, and it's barely reading any volts. I'm beginning to think it's the stator.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
It ran fine before you washed it you said. Washing it isnt going to break something. Washing it may get something wet that may short to ground, but it won't ruin a part.

Example: I was cleaning out my work van listening to a ball game on my work radio. Accidently knocked over a full beer that drained right into my stereo radio. (no more sound) I took the whole thing apart and literally washed it out under hot water in my sink. Blew it out with air and let it air dry on top of my TV where some passive heat would be. Result was: it worked like brand new a few days later. (And still ticking 4 years later!)

My point is, you couldn't have ruined anything beyond repair by washing it and getting it wet. Keep it simple with your troubleshooting. Good luck!

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
I know what you mean. I work in the IT field and I've seen laptops get drinks dumped on them and they stop working. We clean them all off and they work fine.

I ordered a new stator from Ricky Stator, and a used coil on ****. I think that's going to take care of it. I also gave in and bought the $37 NGK spark plug.

dezryder

Feb 23, 2006
Dang...a $37 spark plug???

Fultoncm said:
I know what you mean. I work in the IT field and I've seen laptops get drinks dumped on them and they stop working. We clean them all off and they work fine.

I ordered a new stator from Ricky Stator, and a used coil on ****. I think that's going to take care of it. I also gave in and bought the $37 NGK spark plug.

I run NGK B8ES in everything....period. Makes life easier. If I had to buy $40 plugs I would probably quit riding. But then again, I run what I want and it works just fine! So I guess I'll ride until my present bikes are obsolete. (which they practically are) I can still get parts for now. B8ES will be here forever though.

kx125412

Mar 30, 2006
Yeah all those expensive plugs do is resist vibration. Everyone I know uses the NGK BR8ES or the EG. My flywheel and everything was full of water when I got the bike. We sprayed it all out with an air compressor and it dried up nice. Its still full of corrosion but it works fine. I had a plug die on me. It just wouldnt spark. Switched it for a new plug and there you go im riding again. But ide take it all apart and dry it really good.

ignatius2071

Dec 12, 2006
Keep it simple

I agree with these guys, put your bike back to together, dry everything you can with a hair dryer and trying pushing your bike until you get a spark.

Fultoncm

Apr 14, 2005
It turned out to be the stator. Last week I hooked a volt meter to the wires coming out of the stator and kicked it over...nothing. I ordered a replacement from Rickey Stator, got it hooked up last night, and now I have spark!

Top Bottom