2 -stroke dad needs help fighting "spooge"

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Hi all,

Just bought my son a 2002 CR80, with a fresh dealer rebuild. Have had a KX60 before. Anyways, there is a lot of the excess oil out the exhaust pipe, enough that I can pick it up on my chest protector when I ride behind him, (small black dots of greasy stuff). Also it drips down on the rear caliper, rim, spokes, rear fender, etc. I do not notice excess smoke from the bike/.

I am mixing the oil at the manuals 32:1, and have run Red Line for a tank, and then a cheap generic for a tank, no difference. I did change the plug, and the bike starts and runs just fine. It has a FMF pipe and silencer on it.

Any ideas to reduce the amount? do I try a different oil, reduce the premix ratio? run a different plug? or just buy the gallon size simple green and deal with it? or is there a better cleaner?

thanks all

Mike
YZ400F

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
Mike,

Assuming that the CR's engine is mechanically sound, it sounds like the engine is jetted too rich.

Before you start looking into the jetting of the carb, you might want to repack the silencer, clean the airfilter and exhaust pipe. Once you confirm that these items are clean, you can begin to rejet. Please note, fooling with the fuel:oil ratio will not fix this problem.

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
simimi said:
Any ideas to reduce the amount? do I try a different oil, reduce the premix ratio?

simimi.

Have you tried YamahaLube 'R' oil? I have had very good luck with this oil at 32:1. Minimum spooge.

Just my $ .02

Studboy

Thinks he can ride
Dec 2, 2001
Try and lean your pilot/needle circuit a bit.

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Thanks, I pulled out the manual, and checked FMF's site. Looks like the jets should be one size smaller than stock. I will pull the carb later today and check what is installed. My guess is the previous owner bolted on a new pipe and did not change jetting,

will post and let you all know,

Mike

bedell99

~SPONSOR~
May 3, 2000
Most likely it is coming out of your exhaust flange. The best thing to do is either use RTV or buy an aftermarket flange that uses O-rings. The bike is a little rich stock. You can bump the main down to a 122 and 2nd clip on the needle. I also would go to a 9 plug if your son is putting around. The exhaust flange on the cr80's is a horirble design.

Erik

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Thanks for all the info. Pulling things apart in a bit. So I know how to repack the silencer, but how do I clean the pipe?

I have heard of using oven cleaner?

Thanks

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
OK, Pulled the carb, just as I thought it is all stock. I moved the needle down one notch, and need to get a smaller main jet (125 down to 122) and a larger pilot, from 50 to 52. The air screw was off by 1/4 turn also.

Pulled the silencer off, it looked like it had never been repacked. Going to replace that as well,

Thanks all,

Mike

CaptainObvious

Formally known as RV6Junkie
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 8, 2000
You're going larger on the pilot? Does the engine "four-stroke" a lot at partial throttle settings? If so, go leaner (smaller). In any event, I'd buy a few jets becasue you always seem to need the one that you didn't buy :)

Kyleb15

Oct 8, 2004
I moved the needle down one notch

Moving the clip down one notch would be richening it. Lowering the CLIP, RAISES the needle which allows more fuel. Pilot-Higher number=bigger hole=more fuel=richer. These guys suggested that you go leaner. Just my .02 cents

simimi

Dec 20, 2000
Hi all,

well I contacted FMF and my local dealer. FMF said things should be 'about' right with stock settings. The dealer suggested putting it all stock, repack silencer, clean airfilter, and then do a test run.

I am going to go with the stock set up, some new honda synthetic oil, fresh gas, and all. Then see how it acts. I am also going to pick up a couple of the smaller jets, so just incase,

Thanks,

Will post a follow up after the weekend.

Top Bottom