snobdrbutch

Damn Yankees
Sep 22, 2005
hey guys im fairly new here and i just switched back to 2 wheels from a quad and havent had a 2-stroke bike for a while.
i just got a 99 cr 250 and im trying to figure out what would be the best fuel oil ratio to run i have heard of running 32:1 but im not really sure?? and also what oil should i run in the gearcase? thanks for all your help
butch

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
snobdrbutch said:
hey guys im fairly new here and i just switched back to 2 wheels from a quad and havent had a 2-stroke bike for a while.
i just got a 99 cr 250 and im trying to figure out what would be the best fuel oil ratio to run i have heard of running 32:1 but im not really sure?? and also what oil should i run in the gearcase? thanks for all your help
butch

I run my KX 250 at 40:1 using a high quality synthetic [Bel-Ray]. Runs really clean and strong. I personally use ATF in my gearbox....my clutch was grabby, now it's smooth.

You will find that most guys run 40:1, and that the opinions on gear oil are as varied as the riders....

crazy4nitro

Aug 31, 2005
I run Honda's HP2 at 40:1,I use a synthetic oil vs. petrolium base, It might cost a little more but i've had good luck with it. I used to use whatever the local gas station had for like mowers and stuff and every topend rebuild I would have plenty of build-up of junk on the internal parts.

Crazy..

snobdrbutch

Damn Yankees
Sep 22, 2005
ok so i should run a 40:1 mixture. what type of fuel should i use (ex. high octane the best i can find or any grade)???

as for the gear box my clutch is pretty grabby if i run automatic tranny fluid in it will it stay that way or will it get smoother and loosen up??
thanks for all your help its a whole new world coming back into this side of riding from a four stroke quad for the past ten years!!! but every time i get on my new bike i fall in love like it was the first time all over again!!!! :laugh:
butch

Feb 17, 2005
Im against the grain.... 26:1 is what I run

On my RM125 (last bike) I ran her every weekend for 1-1/2 years on the same piston, it only recieved a ring change in the middle. How many people can say that about thier 125 bikes? I rode the hell out of that RM!

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I run/ran 32:1 Motul 800 in my 99 cr250. Ran very well and at teardown it was always very clean, with minimal wear. After trying several different oils in the tranny, I found the Honda HP trans oil (red bottle) makes it shift the smoothest. My suggestion would be to find a ratio and premix oil, stick with it, and jet accordingly. As for the tranny, try different oils to see what you like the best, since you will receive at least 30 different suggestions in 30 posts.

mattb348

Aug 2, 2005
christopher in tam said:
Im against the grain.... 26:1 is what I run

On my RM125 (last bike) I ran her every weekend for 1-1/2 years on the same piston, it only recieved a ring change in the middle. How many people can say that about thier 125 bikes? I rode the hell out of that RM!

Wow, thats actually pretty impressive!

I wonder how long my 250 and 500 KX will last using yamalube 2R oil @ 32:1

snobdrbutch

Damn Yankees
Sep 22, 2005
hey rm coastie are you in the uscg?? i am stationed at the yard in baltimore. maybe we can get together and ride sometime. drop me a line. thanks for the help everyone i think im gonna try 32:1 with synthetic for the fuel..

Gibby

Dec 8, 2004
I run HP2 also at 40:1 which is one bottle to 5 gallons of gas. The gas type is up to you anything from the pump would work, but I reccomend Race gas. As far as the oil in the trannsmisson goes I run just 10w40 of whatever is on sale.

RMCoastie

~SPONSOR~
Oct 25, 2005
snobdrbutch said:
hey rm coastie are you in the uscg?? i am stationed at the yard in baltimore. maybe we can get together and ride sometime. drop me a line. thanks for the help everyone i think im gonna try 32:1 with synthetic for the fuel..

Yeah Man, Im an OS3 in Chincoteague. Im on global as Johnson, Cody. We should get together and go to Easton or something.

skipn8r

Mar 10, 2004
I run 32:1 HP2 in premium pump gas (91 octane at my altitude). I suspect I could go 40:1, but I haven't tried yet. If the engine is stock, race gas shouldn't be necessary. I also run Pro Honda Trans Oil (Red bottle). Great stuff.

Aug 26, 2005
I run Honda full synthetic HP2 at 32:1, just like it says on the bottle. The bike runs great, although my spark plug does tend to be a bit black (running rich) so maybe I will try 40:1. I just hate to "disobey" the 32:1 instructions right on the bottle though...........

As for gas, I run a 50/50 or stronger mix of Sunoco 100 with premium 93. I have no complaints, bike is very fast. :nod:

Top Bottom