beku

Apr 9, 2005
Hi, I am the new owner of KTM 200 EXC 2000. I would like to ask about the basic maintenance rules. May be some of you have this bike and can give me any tips. I know about checking the engine oil and replacing it every 1000km. I also know that I should clean the rear wheel ( I mean the internal parts ) and take care of the scrues generally. I also clean the air filter. What shall I do more? I want to make sure that I won't make any stupid mistakes and I won't miss anythink. My bike must work perfectly:) It's my baby. PLEASE, GIVE ANY TIPS...

SpeedyManiac

Aug 8, 2000
Change the tranny oil OFTEN. Use a quality synthetic two-stroke premix oil (I like Amsoil Dominator or HP Injector) and fresh gas. Grease the pivot points (Shock pivots, steering head, wheel bearings) a couple times a year. Clean the air filter often. I like having two or three filters so one is always ready to go. Keep the chain at the appropriate tension, 3 fingers at the end of the slider. Besides that, change the top end before it blows up, change fluids (coolant, brakes, clutch) atleast once a year and life should be good. There's guys that know a lot more about KTMs, these are just some basic bike maintenance tips. Good luck and have fun!

viking20

Sponsoring Member
Aug 11, 2002
Theres a debate about the shock bearings on the KTM´s , KTM says not to grease them , but others claim the bearings can be greased with benefit. Still , you should regularly grease the swingarm bearings. The bolts for the chain tension will seize up fast if you dont take them out and grease them from time to time.
Gearbox oil must be changed often , for MX we change it every , or every 2 rides ( clutch is used a lot for MX )
Keep an eye on the chain , it must be a bit looser on a KTM than most other bikes.
Tighten all fasteners often , especially the kick-starter and gear lever.
Have fun !

Top Bottom