2000 kdx engine/clutch noise after dump

scouringpad

Aug 4, 2000
While riding this Sunday a buddy dumped his '00 KDX200 on a hill right in front of me. The bike ended up almost upside down, with the handlebar jammmed into the side of the hill, throttle stuck open, while he slid back down the hill. It ran wide open for 8 or 10 seconds as he tried to crawl back up to it, and just as he got there it made a sort of screeching noise and quit. When he got it back down on the flat, it started right up, but intermittently is still making a noise that sounds like a dry, worn out bearing (a sort of screech/rattle noise). I believe the bike quit when it ran out of fuel, being upside down, but am not sure what to make of the noise. We had a 9 mile ride back to the truck, and the noise was not as loud, and more infrequent when we got back, but it's still there. I believe it to be a clutch related noise, and am wondering if anyone on here has had a similar problem, or can offer insight into exactly what may be going on?

The bike is all stock, with maybe 400 miles on it. Throttle openings do not affect the noise, and pulling or releasing the clutch do not make any difference either - it just starts, makes noise for a couple seconds, and then stops. I took it for a brief ride when we got back, and could not get it to make any noise, so it seems to be going away, but is there a problem here that should be addressed...? Any input would be appreciated! -Chris

------------------

cycleboy

Sep 8, 1999
Here's a possible explaination. The first time I changed the trans oil on my bike I got a false reading and consequently didn't have enough oil in it. After running hard down a long straight I stopped because the bike was making a screaching sound. I checked the oil window and sure enough it was only showing a little at the bottom. I rode slowly back to the truck and added oil till it covered the window, and let the bike cool down. When I went back out riding the noise was gone and didn't return. This happened to two friends of mine also with new KDXs when the oil level was low and they had been running hard down the side of the road or in a open field. So what I think caused the noise was the clutch starving for oil. If your buddy's bike was upside down then it's conceivable that the clutch became dry and hence the screaching sound.

------------------

canyncarvr

~SPONSOR~
Oct 14, 1999
Upside down? There's a crankcase breather routed up to the airbox (isn't there?). I don't think there's a check valve in it (like on the gas cap vent), so maybe you lost some oil? What IS the level in the sight glass?

Oh...'overfill' it some anyway. That quiets the clutch down some..not referring to your noise, but the awful racket kawi engineered into the unit in the first place.

------------------
  • OLD member
    'oh-oh' KDX 200
    '86 Nighthawk 700 SC
    (a motorcyle even if it doesn't have a chain!)

agitt73

~SPONSOR~
May 11, 2000
possible cylender piston damage if oil level
is fine due to leaning out at wide open throttle

------------------
2000 kdx200 2000ktm 50sxpro jr
1980 it425
1983it250
alexis il

TheMort

May 31, 2000
Sounds somewhat similar to something that happend to me last year. Will riding in some sand pits I dumped the bike kinda hard. When I got it started back up I heard a rattling noise that I'd never heard before. Unaware of what it was I kept riding for a few minutes and the sound disappeared and then came back. Then the oil level window popped off while I was riding and out came all the oil and a little metal rod which turned out to be the govoner shaft. Unfortunately the rod ruined the clutch basket, plates and clutch cover. After around $600 later the bike was back and ready to go. Still not sure how or why it happend and nor was the dealer. I believe it's happend to a couple other DRN members on their KDXs if I remember right. Might be worth it to check into that possibility and prevent any more damage than has already happend, if any. Good luck.

------------------
Kyle - My Photo Page

---------
95 KDX200

scouringpad

Aug 4, 2000
Mort - funny you should mention that, because I read those posts about the governor rod, and had mentioned it to Rich (the guy with the KDX) when we were trying to figure out what the noise was all about. What's involved in checking this governor shaft to make sure it is OK?

The oil level was a little low - less than half the window was showing oil with the bike upright. I had thought about the clutch starving for oil too, but thought it would take longer to have an effect than the ten or so seconds. But that could be it - will bring the oil level up a bit, and see if that quiets it down. Thanks for the info!

------------------

mwaterski

Dec 21, 1999
If i were you i would pull the interior clutch cover off and check the governor shaft first thing. Starting the bike and running it with a broken shaft can do some serious damage, believe me i know i just had to replace everything in my clutch to the tune of $560.00 so i think a new clutch cover gasket is worth the expense of checking it. Just my .02 or should i say my $560.00 worth.

------------------
00 KDX 220
90 BLASTER .40 over

cyclers10

Oct 19, 2000
my buddy dumped his for about 30 secs when we got back to the rest area no oil in glass same bike as mine 2001 220r about 30 miles on it mine read at top line his would not read at all added 6 oz oil came between high and low line on glass with a teardrop of whitelook in glass no oil in rad and took to dealer said never herd of this before probably crank seal . any body else with this prob , thanx cyclers aka loren

------------------

Top Bottom