2000 RM250 fork problems/worn bushings?

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
I have a 2000 RM250 and one fork leg is leaking so I am rebuilding but the big problem is the fork catches on the compression stroke with a audible "clunk" I can not just push down on the fork standing next to the bike but if you hit a bump hard enough it will compress the fork. First I am sure one leg may be out of oil, but could the real problem be worn/stuck bushings? This is about all I know about the bike It is not rideable in this condition.

NO HAND

~SPONSOR~
Jun 21, 2000
If it ran without oil, it is almost certain the bushings are worn out and the fork tube may have taken a beating from this. Once the anodized coating has worn out from the fork tube, there is only soft aluminum; that is very easy to scratch and dent. It may be worth it to have the fork tubes inspected by a suspension tuner in your area.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
I would replace the bushings and seals and see if that fixes the binding. It's not that hard, and not too time consuming. Nothing to lose, really. At least if the bushings are worn out, they should come out of the forks fairly easy. Also could be binding at the front axle, making the condition worse.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Well took them apart and they were just (almost) out of oil the bushings were not real worn but replaced them anyway along with the seals and wipers. thank god the forks weren't bent!

Top Bottom