legendboy

May 11, 2006
Figured I would snap some pictures of my build for you guys.

I own a 93 kdx200, for about 3 years now

kdx1.jpg

Picked up an 01 CR-125 with no motor. Figured I would throw a KDX motor in it.

I bought an engine on egay, which turned out to be a bit of a turd so i am going to use the engine out of my bike for the CR.

About what it looked like when i bought it.

3.jpg

4.jpg

Fit-up

1.jpg

2.jpg

Last edited:

legendboy

May 11, 2006
5.jpg

7.jpg

The rear engine mount hole is about 7 thou under what the cr mount/swing arm axle is. 17mm reamer is the right tool for the job.

6.jpg

Last edited:

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Together!

I have to grind the frame a bit, will post pics tonight.

8.jpg

I will post some detailed pictures of the swingarm bushings/bearings/seals hopefully tonight.

Last edited:

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I built the same last summer
What year CR Frame?
I cut the cases to fit the CR swingarm, though.

Works real well. I'll be running some of the SERA/SETRA Enduro series on it.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Good to see someone else who did the exact same thing!

My CR is a 2001 125. I am really looking forward to riding a CR compaired to my old KDX.

I choose to cut the swing arm and only ream the motor. Not really sure why, didn't want to hack up the rear motor mount i guess.

Hopefully I will have most of it done this weekend. I am going to re use the stock CR bottom engine mount, just have to turn some bushings to take up the space.

I also am going to do a similar top mount that you did. I have a tig and can weld aluminum but the stock mounts are sooooo beefy i think i am going to use them instead of cutting them off.

I have a fatty pipe that came with the CR and i have a KDX pipe too. I figured the pipe would be the trickiest part of this whole project.

What do you think about using the 125 FMF pipe?

Last edited:

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
I don't see why not on the CR 125 pipe.
The carb on the CR was what size? I bet the CR pipe will flow just fine.
I guess the pipe is a crap shoot;what you get is what you get.

I couldn't use the the stock lower engine mounts. The motor would have been tipped forward too much and the KIPS actuating cover ran into the frame. Put your cylinder and head on without the piston just to check. That CR 125 frame may be different.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
I'd like to see what you did for the motor mounts.

The rear swing arm that you cut off is just air. The load in on the outside by the frame. The problem with cutting the cases is that the cases have a steel sleeve that is about .75 inches long. You can see it in your pics. If you mill the cases you also mill the sleeve significantly weakining the rear motor mout. You did optimal thing.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Good idea on the head Karlp, thanks for the heads up!

I actually didn't hardly leave the couch this whole weekend so i didn't get anything else done lol

ebeck, when i machined out the motor mount, i thought the chips looked alot like cast iron!

I have all my parts in, just have to get my rear end out to the garage :blah:

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Got a bit of work done tonight

Had to grind more then i wanted to off the swingarm race to clear the kickstart assembley, should be find tho

9.jpg

11.jpg

Doesn't matter how many power tools and machines you have, sometimes a hacksaw is still the best choice :cool:

12.jpg

Getting close!

13.jpg

Last edited:

karlp

Nov 13, 2001
Looking good - the end is in sight!
Air box O.K.? The carb isn't going to run into the frame, is it?

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
That looks really good. Are there any fit issues with the water pump or where the radiator hoses enter and exit the bike?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Did you have to v-cut the new bracket piece to get root penetration on the attaching weld?

legendboy

May 11, 2006
no i just butt welded it, no root pass with bevel or anything like that. it is plenty strong welded all the way around, at max heat.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Curious, why use a mill to bevel when a belt sander would do the job a whole lot faster? Is there that big of a concern about weld contamination from the sand on the belt?

jrf4x4

~SPONSOR~
Jan 17, 2008
SVandal said:
Curious, why use a mill to bevel when a belt sander would do the job a whole lot faster? Is there that big of a concern about weld contamination from the sand on the belt?

No a belt sander would be fine, i'm just a machinist and just use to going by a drawing and doing with a mill.

ebeck

Dec 13, 2006
Nice, I like to see things done right!
Any problems with strenth after welding the aluminum?

Top Bottom