SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Legendboy,

Were you able to use any parts from the kdx other than the engine and carb? Did the airbox transfer over or any other parts? I am starting to collect parts for a cr200 and wanted to see what I need to collect.

Thanks,
SVandal

allen24

Jun 4, 2008
rediator shrouds

Hey legend boy, I've got a 1992 KDX250 missing the right side rad shroud, do you have one you could sell or know where I can get a set? Im in Okotoks.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Sorry about the pictures, the person who's webspace i was using changed ISP's on me. I will try and find time to edit all my posts and re link the pics.

SVandal, I didn't use any KDX parts except for the motor. Everything else is honda.

allen24, I could sell you the whole KDX250 for cheap if you wanted, less the motor and pipe. But I am not looking to start parting it out at the moment.

Actually I would consider selling the complete bike as I really don't have any room for it. Would sell for $1500 bucks.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Thanks for reposting those, I was trying to figure out if the 2003 I have is different as the head pipe looks like it will be a PITA to fit. Noticed though that it looks pretty similar to the 2001 you used. I just have to figure out the mounts whether to try and go full forward or more up like you did and if I can get the pipe in there. Thanks again.

Oh, I did get my engine to fit without dissassembly, but it is a lot like one of those puzzle type games where it doesn't look possible till you try it in just the right way.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
haha nice, i don't think i have enough patients to try and fit it in without popping the cy off.

the pipe was a little tricky, but it turned out good, fits good, doesn't leak. so i am happy

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Did you put in a section of 125 pipe just off the head or is that all from the stock kdx pipe? Just wondering how you got it to fit with enough room for the springs. The FMF is a pretty tight fit.

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Nice. Well, got most of my parts in so I am going to start drilling, turning, fitting, and welding. The 03 swingarm will only need to be sanded a little as it is just a little shy of fitting the motor and I will still need to cut the sleeves down. Either way though, I am getting excited to get it put together. Thanks for the help.

Jul 23, 2008
legendboy, you are a god. I wish i had the money and more importantly the skill to do what you did. Would you make a hybrid like that (kx or cr frame with 200/220 engine in it) and sell it? or possibly build one and charge to build it?

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Legendboy,

One last question, what did you use to fit the carb to the airbox? Mine has a bit too much clearance around the carb where the boot fits. Other than that, I am just needing a wheel and some bolts and a little more plastic to finish mine. I got the swingarm fitted, spacers cut, frame welded, and almost done modding the pipe to fit. Can't wait to get it down off the bench and out into the dirt. Thanks again for the inspiration and the help.

One last question, what did you end up using for a kick starter? The stock one just won't fit unless I heat it and bend it a few times.

SVandal

legendboy

May 11, 2006
thelonesurvivor said:
legendboy, you are a god. I wish i had the money and more importantly the skill to do what you did. Would you make a hybrid like that (kx or cr frame with 200/220 engine in it) and sell it? or possibly build one and charge to build it?

I am actually going to sell it here sometime soon. I feel the need to try out a 4 stroke next year. Not sure where u are but I am in Canada...

SVandal said:
Legendboy,

One last question, what did you use to fit the carb to the airbox? Mine has a bit too much clearance around the carb where the boot fits. Other than that, I am just needing a wheel and some bolts and a little more plastic to finish mine. I got the swingarm fitted, spacers cut, frame welded, and almost done modding the pipe to fit. Can't wait to get it down off the bench and out into the dirt. Thanks again for the inspiration and the help.

One last question, what did you end up using for a kick starter? The stock one just won't fit unless I heat it and bend it a few times.

SVandal

Hey SV I used the stock cr boot and clamp on my kdx carb, mine seemed to fit fine and doesn't leak.

I bought a kdx kicker on ebay and bent it slightly around the pipe. Fits great and tucks away nicely

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
Finished mine!

legendboy said:
I am actually going to sell it here sometime soon. I feel the need to try out a 4 stroke next year. Not sure where u are but I am in Canada...

Hey SV I used the stock cr boot and clamp on my kdx carb, mine seemed to fit fine and doesn't leak.

I bought a kdx kicker on ebay and bent it slightly around the pipe. Fits great and tucks away nicely

Figured I would put up a picture of my CDX200 as yours was a good part of the inspiration for the honda frame based hybrid.
DSCN5136.jpg
Thanks for the help!

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
legendboy said:
hey nice work, pm me some details!
I tried, but for whatever reason it wouldn't let me.

Here is the details:

Frame and subframe:
2003 cr125

Airbox and boot:
2003 cr125

Shock, swingarm, linkage:
2003 cr125

Triples:
2006 cr125

Forks:
2001 CR250 10w oil stock springs

Wheels F/R:
2000 cr125/2002 cr125

Plastics are all new except the side panels, seat cover is for an 02 or 03 kx125 and the seat is off of a 2001 cr125, tanks is from a 2003 cr125. Tires are Maxxis Desert IT (rear) and IS (front).

Motor and Carb:
1994 kdx200

Pipe and silencer:
FMF fatty with some cutting, adding, and rewelding from my 94, and turbinecore silencer with about 6" cut off of the muffler side to leave about 2" of straight muffler, 2" of enlarged muffler, and the spark arrestor that I will need to make smokey the bear happy.

Built it almost the same as you, except with the 2003 swingarm I only had to file down about 0.01 off each side and then turn off the excess bushing (the bushings are the same size as yours).

A newer pipe would have fit better, but I was able to make the 94 model fmf fit. And the mounting tabs were the same except I made some to fit the top that are a little thick, but close enough.

Anyways, like I said, after seeing yours I new I could do it, it only took about 3-4 months as I didn't collect all of my parts ahead of time and I only worked during evenings and afternoons. It was a good project. Now I am working to get it registered so I can go ride up in the trees with it. I put a picture of the top mount brackets in.

top-mount.jpg

Sorry to hear you are looking at a 4 stroke, the kdx is a great bike and in the mx frame it feels even better. However, you have to go with what works for ya! Good luck with the new bike.

legendboy

May 11, 2006
Nice work on your bike

I figure I will give a 4 stroke a try

i have since upgraded all my machines too, big mill, surface grinder...etc.

some more projects on the horizon :nod:

SVandal

Jul 18, 2007
legendboy said:
Nice work on your bike

I figure I will give a 4 stroke a try

i have since upgraded all my machines too, big mill, surface grinder...etc.

some more projects on the horizon :nod:

That would make it easier than bumming shop time off of friends with shops. I keep thinking a water jet would be nice, but I can't justify the 25K in order to save 50.00 by making my own skid plate :) .

Top Bottom