MrkCottingham

Aug 19, 2005
I need some help with an 01 cr125 that I have just purchased for my son yesterday. We took it out for about 30 minutes and it was running great then it just died like you lost spark. I checked the plug and tried a couple new ones with no luck so we loaded up and headed home. I pulled the plug and checked for spark and didn't have any at first then it came back, screwed plug in and it fired off and died almost instantly. Checked for fire again and it has spark, unplugged the kill switch to eliminate an intermittent problem. The plug is we when kicking the heck out of it and it tries to start every thirty or so kicks???? Checked compression and it is around 130psi so I believe it should run but I'm stumped. I'm running a 40:1 ratio of AMSoil which is what the guy previously ran. Any help would be appreciated since tommorow is the son's B'day and he is dying to ride. Thanks and I am a newbie with some experience working on the 2 strokes. Definetly eager to learn more. I'm pondering if the spark could be weak or timing maybe off?? Please help.
Thanks!
Mark

MrkCottingham

Aug 19, 2005
looks like I may have an intermittent spark, I don't have a manual yet but do have an 87 manual to relate to. The exciter reads about 250ohms and the coil reads near zero on the primary and 11k on the secondary. Not sure what I should read on the two wires going to the altenator coil. Any comments will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark

MrkCottingham

Aug 19, 2005
checked for loose flywheel and stator and they are tight. The spark is there intermittently and not present most of the time? Thanks. Praying it isn't the CDI!

Mark,

+30

Aug 2, 2005
cr misfire

check the ign lead itself at the coil and cap, I think the lead screws into the coil and cap -possible loose connection you could disconnect it from plug an ohm it out to see while shaking it. and Im sure you checked plug part number br9eg or ev as I recall for the 01cr. also try some good contact cleaner on the wiring connections. sounds like you checked almost everything.

foxracing8fox

Aug 11, 2005
my friend had that happen to him he has a 99 cr125 all it should be the cap or the wire but for my friend ti was the cap so i would try a new cap they cost about $5
wha happen was we took of the cap so no one would steel it they about 10mins later we put it back on it fired and he road about 30ft and died it had no spark we mest with the cap i started and die.... so i think it should be ur cap!

MrkCottingham

Aug 19, 2005
I've checked for pulse from exciter and it is there, I've checked voltage from the stator and it's there. I however don't have a voltage on the primary side of the coil(spark coil) which makes me believe maybe the CDI may not be putting out voltage to the coil to develop a spark? Anyone done this check before? Maybe I'm getting too technical for a lesser problem?

Thanks for all the ideas, I will post the final outcome when I reach it.

Mark,

MrkCottingham

Aug 19, 2005
found a couple wires behind the flywheel rubbed through the inslulation and grounding intermittently to the stator plate! A cdi would have been an expensive purchase that wouldn't fixed the problem, don't be afraid to pull the flywheel to inspect the connections to the stator when there are intermittents before buying the CDI unit.

Thanks for the ideas.
Mark,

Top Bottom