Jeepboy

Oct 25, 2000
I have used the spring rate webpages on a couple of sites and based on my weight and riding terrain they all say I should use 0.42 fork springs for my 01 CR250. I currently have the stock 0.44 springs and feel the bike is too harsh. A friend of mine who is a better rider and about my weight doesn't think I should go to a lower rate spring, but instead thinks I should go to a higher rate spring. I have two questions, Has anyone used the spring rate webpages (like Race Tech's) and found them correct? What fork spring rates have people with 01 CR250s used (please list weight and riding terrain). I hope with this information I can decide a course of action, instead of buying both lower and higher rate fork springs.
Thanks

TRAIL

Nov 12, 2002
talk to Jeremy Wilkey at MX tech, super nice guy to talk to and he will know the information your looking for. I had him do my 2001 CR 250 rear shock.

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
What is your weight? I'm at 155 and have lighter than stock, I think .41 but can't remember for sure. They work great. I ride anything from woods to mx, including some bigger jumps.

Springs should be taylored to your weight, the valving is adjusted to your riding style/preference/ability. In my opinion too many people go with springs too heavy for their weight (partly due to misinformation in mx magazines).

motometal

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Sep 3, 2001
I like to start on the light side on the oil level, ride it, and then add until it's just right. Generally I try not to have to have the compression clickers in too far, (the compression clickers seem to affect plushness on small bumps more than bottoming resistance anyway).

Top Bottom