2001 cr250r not reving out if set at idle for a few seconds?

nova2only

Oct 27, 2009
i have a 2001 cr250r and i runs great but if i let it idle for about 10 seconds it dosent rev out or have that crisp throttle response. it sounds like a fuel problem to me as in running rich. what do yall think?? i checked the reeds and they arent cracked or anything and i cleaned the carb too plus new plug.

2strokes4life

Apr 1, 2009
Nope, that's your idle screw. The airscrew is usually a little lower and to the right. Both my CR 250 and my RM 125 have the airscrew in the same place (Mikuni flat slide carb). If you look at the side of your bike where the fuel enters the carb it is just below and to the right. The idle screw is usually a phillips and the airscrew is usually a smaller flathead. The airscrew is very close to the boot that connects the airbox to the carb.

nova2only

Oct 27, 2009
alright thanks this is the first flatside iv owned so im not to use to it. ill try the air screw and let yall know how it went! oh and i also moved the needle clip up one and it helped a little bit too.

nova2only

Oct 27, 2009
ok so i took it for a ride before i adjusted anything on it and after goin about 20 feet it started runnin great so i was a bit confused. i pulled it in the garage and realized i left the fuel valve off so my assumption is that my whole problem has to do with the float adjustment or float valve since i started to run great once it got some fuel out of the carb?

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
You got it! As its leaning out, it runs better. Way too much fuel. The epa should give dirt bikers a new float valve set every year, if they were REALLY concerned. Vintage Bob

Top Bottom