sethg1981

Mar 14, 2013
I just picked up the bike. It starts fine but idles high. I messed with what I thought was the idle adjustment screw and it dies. <-has no effect on idle until turned all the way out then it dies.) Fould the plug. I pulled it cleaned it and put it back in. I think I flooded it as well. Finally started. seemed to run fine. Then after about 5 min it started surging very lightly but it was surging then it started to bog and die.

I did notice when I was draining the gas to check the filter the gas would slow down until I cracked the cap.

Checked the throttle cable and its not making a difference.

Also when I rev it up the idle hangs until I kick it in gear.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
The fouled plug and surging sounds to me like a gunked up carb. I would start with cleaning the carb thoroughly. Put in a new plug and then run the engine. If you are still seeing some surging, clean the tank and insure the vent is allowing air into the tank. Pay particular attention to the float and the float level. If the float is set too low you will starve the bike of fuel and get a lean condition causing the bike to rev high for a short time.
Use the jetting guide at the top of this forum and you should be able to sort out the problems.

sethg1981

Mar 14, 2013
I cleaned the hell out of the carb, drained the tank and cleaned the little screen and the vent. I rode it around until it started surging and unscrewed the gas cap and it didnt fix anything.. I am going to check the reeds today. It was running alot better then when I posted this. I will have to take the bike to a shop for the jetting and fine tuning. I dont know what Im doing and I dont want to make it worse or kill the bike. Thanks for the info.

arnego2

Mar 8, 2008
I'd not bring it to a shop. There are not too many things you have to check on a dirt bike.

1rst thing to do on a carb is the float high adjustment.
As you just got the bike a new piston might be a good idea. :)

joshbot007

Dec 4, 2012
Sounds to me like a bad left crank seal. Air will get it throught the flywheel side and cause irratic idol. Look that problem up on youtube and see if ur bike is acting like the ones in thoes videos. They also say it is extreamly dangerous to run your bike this way and it can/will blow. Hope this was insiteful information.

Top Bottom