soquel

Mar 19, 2002
I have read many articles about wether or not a bike should Idle. My bike is brand new and it doesn't Idle, I'm thinking that it may have came from the factory with the idle adjusted improperly. I refered to my owners manual and it doesn't mention anything about idling, instead it refers to what would normally be idle adjustment as throttle free play. I've tried messing with the throttle perch free play adjuster to no avil. And I want to know what you guys think before I start messing with the carb abjustment. I have a feeling that some carbs were made to Idle and others not. My bike is equipped with a 36mm Mikuni TMX carb, everything is stock. So is my bike intended to idle? Your help is greatly appreciated.

<HONDA>

Dec 18, 2001
Hey sup i have an 02 cr125 as well its sweet it will spank both of my friends 2000 cr125's and one of them is ported and polished with a fmf pipe and silencer and my bike only have v-force reeds and a shorty silencer so you can see my bike is running well. But i have my bike set to idle because i think its a pain always having to sit there and hold it idling anyway. I dont think it hurts anything and most people I know have their race bikes idle as well. But on your carb ont the front there is a star screw with a nut on it. I cant remeber which way you turn the screw but it wont harm it im pretty sure its in. So start your bike turn it in a little then snap the throttle and see how it idles and keep turning it until u get it idling where you want it but remeber to snap the throttle because that screw holds the carb slide up a little so you have to snap the throttle in order for it to work properly. sorry for such a long post hope it helps. just ask me if ur still confused lol

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
Hey,Dude you have the coolest bike I have ever seen! Thanks for the reply. So does the throttle free play have anything to do with the Idle? I'll look for that star adjuster, so I turn the adjuster in, start my bike and snap the throttle to make sure its fully closed? Why do you need to snap the throttle?

soquel

Mar 19, 2002
It turned out great!, I set the idle so that it idles smoothly in neutral and barely in gear. Now I don't have to sit there reving the engine, thanks again.

Top Bottom