1. Thanks for visiting The Forums at DirtRider.Net. Please join us and gain access to advanced search functions and other features that will make the most of your time here.[ Do it! ]

2003 Yamaha yz250f troubleshooting

Discussion in 'Big Bikes' started by Natedawgrebuilds, Aug 27, 2016.

1. Natedawgrebuilds

Hey guys I just picked up a 2003 yz 250f and it loose compression when kick starting it. It kickstart no problem when cold around 2 Kick when playing with the kick start getting the piston to compression stroke. But when warm it doesn't wanna kick over I can move the kick start down with my hand, it isn't firm like a 250 should be. I'm mechanically incline with cars but this is my first bike. the guy I bought it off of told me he redid the valve so I'm thinking he messed the clearance up

2. Natedawgrebuilds

Forgot to mention bike run great when it warm I just bum start it. Kinda stuck tho I would love to have a bike kickstart anytime and anyplace no problem. I'm doing a full rebuilt on the bike this winter but I wanna ride it before it the season ends

3. Rich Rohrich

Rich Rohrich BioHazard
    Staff Member

Checking the valve clearance is very easy on these engines and is the logical place to start given what you have described.