rockclimber

Dec 15, 2002
Please help. I ride Michigan single track woods trails for recreation.

BIKE: I just purchased a used 2003 Yamaha yz250f with a Lectron carb installed, and a Yoshimura TRS exhaust. The Lectron carburetor has only a few markings; patent 4008298, a number "44" stamped onto the thin vertical upper portion, and a "Pure Boost" sticker fixed to the thin vertical upper portion. Can't find a specific Lectron model number anywhere.

:bang: PROBLEM: The bike's idle is very high, and has great accerleration from that high idle. This might be desirable for racing, but I'm trail riding and with the high idle there is no engine-brake into the corners. When I reduce the idle to 1900 rpm, then the bike stalls upon attempted acceleration from a stop. Also, the bike starts very hard after each stall - 20 kicks, but starts 10 kicks cold. New spark plug is black, but not sooty.

NOTE: Lectron customer service is absolutely useless!!! They wouldn't give me the time of day.

HELP: Please advise. What are the default carb settings? And how should I re-tune this carburetor for normal idle and smooth roll-on power? Current C=52.5 mm and idle screw is 2 turns out.

rockclimber

Dec 15, 2002
_JOE_ said:
Sounds like the pilot circuit is rich. Where do you have the fuel screw?

No accelerater pump.

There are three adjustable screws. One is the idle screw, which I believe simply turns against the slide to adjust the idle rpm. The second is between the slide and the air box end of the carb air intake; and this screw is closed due to it is apparenly used only for racing to prevent stall during long jumps. And the third is what I believed to be the 'air' adjustment which is slightly below and forward of the idle (rpm) adjustment screw.

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
You'll never, ever get the Lectron to work well in a transitional throttle environment like woods riding. Find the proper Keihn FCR and change it out. Used FCRs are available all the time.

The Lectron works great in simple straight to WOT applications like drag racing, and CVT based engines. It has no place on a woods or an MX bike.

rockclimber

Dec 15, 2002
Rich Rohrich said:
You'll never, ever get the Lectron to work well in a transitional throttle environment like woods riding. Find the proper Keihn FCR and change it out. Used FCRs are available all the time.

The Lectron works great in simple straight to WOT applications like drag racing, and CVT based engines. It has no place on a woods or an MX bike.

Thank you. I suspected I may need an original carburetor. Please post a few websites that I might find a used Keihn FCR carburetor for my 2003 yz250f?

Rich Rohrich

Moderator / BioHazard
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 27, 1999
Chicago
Ebay is the obvious place to look first. There are a lot of these bikes that get parted out so used carbs are fairly plentiful.

Top Bottom