2003 YZ85 Chain Guide Block Question

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Folks,

We are experimenting with a 49 tooth rear sprocket on my son's 2003 YZ85. It works well, but it's eating through the chain guide block on the swingarm--cutting through it like, well, a chainsaw. Is there anything I can do/try?

Thanks,

deadhead

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
sounds like yer chain is too tight. Are you setting your tension of the chain when the swingarm is parallel to the ground? Or else 3 fingers of slack when the bike is off the ground. Measured at the back of the top swingarm guard.

A larger front sprocket helps get the chain off the slider but that is like changing the rear sprocket smaller by 2.3 teeth.

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Jasle,

I'm talking about the chain guide block at the back of the swingarm underneath, not the chain slider. I know the chain is not too loose, so it must be the added diameter of the 49 tooth sprocket.

deadhead

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
maybe you need to add some length to the chain. Possibly its too close to the block now. I could be totally off though. I thought they came stock with 50? When going up sizes the wheel comes forward more. I have seen interference problems when fitting larger sprockets.

deadhead

Mar 25, 2001
Jasle,

I left an extra link in when I fitted everything up initially and it was almost at the far end of the adjustment. Wouldn't have lasted long. The stocker is a 47 tooth. We were running a 48, and decided to try the 49. The big wheels come with 52s stock, which is why I asked if the parts were different. However, I got a parts list from Australia and that indicates the chain guide blocks are the same. I may need to run the chain a little on the tight side.

deadhead

Top Bottom