Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
I would say to put high speed in middle of adjustment and leave it and just use low speed to make changes. If you are riding tecnical single track rock gardens, you are going to have everything backed off a ways. I started a WR250 thread on Thumper Talk, so maybe you'll get some answers there.

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
Tugsy said:
Got the Rooster Guards and they went on like nothing. Look great as well. Can anyone tell me the difference in the rear shock adjustments between the high and low speed settings? I have never had a bike with 2 different compression settings only compression and rebound. Any basics I should look for when I ride to tell me which is which? Also anyone have some basic settings that work for them to start from? I am at stock settings right now. 175lbs with gear on. Single track and rocky terrain.

Stock HSCD is all the way out (counterclockwise). Haven't ridden my '04 WR250 yet, but on all my Jap bikes I have used the HSCD to set the ride height/ chassis attitude in the rear (after setting the spring preload/sag). You will notice a marked difference in bike attitude when using this adjustment. Theoretically, the HSCD affects quick, sharp hits, but most tuners use it for making the bike ride highr/lower in the stroke.

Mike

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
WR 250 fine tuning...

Spring is here! :D

Over the weekend I spent more time working on the bike. I really like how easy it is to work on (compared to my YZ's, and KTM's). The bits and pieces are well made too me thinks. ;) I'm really pleased as this is my first Husky. The rain just wouldn't quit (severe weather)...so, I added the following:

*New UFO side plates and tank shrouds (sides are a neon yellow, don't match tank shrouds)
* New OEM clutch springs, fiber plates, and metal plates.
* New OEM clutch cable. (It doesn't flop around like my old KTM, but snaps to frame!)
* New OEM stock seat (original was higher).
* Spun the FBF bar mounts forward for more cockpit room.
* Replacement GE (2) tail lamp bulbs (Auto parts store carried a match! Local bike shop did not)
* New Renthal Emig/Bradshaw KX Hi type bars (for more room).
* New Renthal grips.
* New Twin Air Filter.

I'll finish the changes this coming weekend and report back on the results! :) :cool:

Last edited:

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
mr foley where is wr 250 forum located on thumpertalk?Could only find 4stroke stuff.ALSO woodsracer.com has alot of husky info-it seems to have an east coast flavor.

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
Go to Husky forum and look WR250 Thread. It's not as popular as the CR125 2 stroke threads. I have to post on it, so it should be on first page.
Norman

JG614

Nov 18, 2004
Well guys,

I got my first real ride in on my new Husky yesterday here are some of my obsevations:

The kickstarter is to high and forward (I can't imagine how the wr360 guys do it)

She handles great, nice light feel, awsome brakes, feather light clutch, suspension worked well.

The motor seems a little soft on the bottom, it seems like you need to be in the exact right gear or she'll just bog, now you can clutch it into the power but you get instant wheelspin. Now let me just say my last 250 smoker was a '94 yz250 and my last dirt bike was an '01 yz426 and I know it ain't gonna run like the 426, that thing you could be in any gear and it would just pull, I know it's new and still needs some break in but I could use some more low end. on a couple of uphills I would find myself bogging it, maybe I'm just trying to lug it like I could on the 426, could be I just need a little time to acclimate myself? otherwise I love it. It really felt good to get back in the dirt. also the shifter seems a little to close to the clutch cover any of you guys try to bend it out a little, I moved it up which helped but I think I could use it out a little more I guess maybe it's because of my size 13 boots. lookin' forward to many hours in the saddle.

later
Jeffro :ride:

DC-1

Feb 15, 2005
hey jeffro,
just went for the fourth ride(10 hrs total) on 04 wr 250 and I agree the bike is better than expected.The kick start lever i dont even notice, feels natural now.
suspension is almost perfect, maybe the forks could be a little plusher on the small stuff.
As for the motor being a little weak on the bottom, I thought the same untill I got rid of the michillen car tire and installed a 110 maxis(a little shorter and a lot lighter) and I also jetted the engine a lot leaner(this time of the year in arizona i ride bout 2000 ')
went to 30 pilot , 370 main and lowered the needle a notch.
plan on fooling around with the optional slide and needles but all this tuning cuts into my ride time!
I have only 2 complaints with the husky
1. even with leaner jets I still get a lot of spooge out the exhaust--thank God the brake is on the other side! altough you could say the bike has on autolube for the chain
2. top speed is limited by the cr tranny-found out that a 4th and 5th gear from a 2001 real WR will slide right in

as a long time ktm and gas-gas owner i have to say this bike is better than any ktm ive had (last was 04 450 exc) and as good as my beloved gas gas(300 ec)

let you guys know how wr gears go in.............

Tugsy

Feb 24, 2004
What is the top speed you are getting with stock tranny? Have you thought about a 14 tooth front yet? I am stilled snowed in and can't wait to to ride.

DC-1

Feb 15, 2005
the top speed is around 63 mph
I would not go up a tooth on the counter because 1st is just barely low enough. I find my self smokin the clutch in 1st on some really mean technical hills.(and yes, both feet are on the pegs) hence I want a taller 4 and 5 I dont need to do 80 mph often but when i do i cant and the real wide ratio guys are waiting for me at the next T in the trail!

JG614

Nov 18, 2004
DC-1,

I can't say I ever thought about the tire, you are right that is a huge rear meat on the back there. I'm gonna try a 32.5 pilot go one notch leaner on the needle clip and the 390 main, I'm gettin' a lot of spooge too. I understand what you mean about the tranny a kid on a KDX200 was smokin' me on top end when we where crossin' some fields sunday(although I was holding back a wee bit as I didn't want to melt her down on the maiden voyage!!!) overall I love my hoosky!! :aj:

Jeffro

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
If anyone is interested the Husky dealer in Syracuse NY has a new '02 WR250 on the floor(last of the true wide ratio bikes). Fred is hard to deal with( I deal with Bottones in Bradford PA) and I don't know what he wants for it(He still has a '96 WXC610 on the floor!), but this is one to have if you like 250 2t Huskys. I just put a Dynoport torque pipe on my '00 and now it's a real woods tractor, still has lots of top end across the fields. :ride:

Tugsy

Feb 24, 2004
Thanks DC-1.....I was wondering what I would top out at with the 13 tooth.....I will make swap and see how it does and let everyone know. i am at least 2 weeks away from snow melt and then I will be able to test JD kit and the 14 tooth. Can't wait to try it out. I already broke it in so it is ready to go. Any thoughts on the pipe to muffler connection....I get some smooze out ther ans was wondering if it should be muffler taped or epoxy somehow. I also get soem rubbing with shifter on side case and have tried bending it but with no luck. I may just grinda little of the edge off.

motorhead434

May 28, 2003
on the shifter on my 00' I just moved it out on the splines enough to clear case and retightened-didnt take much.I use zip-ties in 2 grooves on muffler to pipe boot,helps but in time drools and i'll hit it w/contact cleaner and a rag.Does anyone know of a "NEW" 04' WR 250 anywhere?looks like i'll finally know if were goin on strike at the plant in a week or so,I would like a fresh tight one!

JG614

Nov 18, 2004
Motorhead,

My local dealer has one on the floor give them a call. Tell them Jeff sent you.

Dover race ready cycles (330) 602-9219

Good luck
Jeffro :cool:

Norman Foley

Nov 14, 2001
motorhead434 said:
on the shifter on my 00' I just moved it out on the splines enough to clear case and retightened-didnt take much.I use zip-ties in 2 grooves on muffler to pipe boot,helps but in time drools and i'll hit it w/contact cleaner and a rag.Does anyone know of a "NEW" 04' WR 250 anywhere?looks like i'll finally know if were goin on strike at the plant in a week or so,I would like a fresh tight one!

Answered you on TT
Norman

Tiger

~SPONSOR~
Aug 21, 2000
WTB: Husqvarna WR250 Stock exhaust pipe, Spark A

Husky parts are kinda rare, so I figured I'd put a note in here. Interested in getting my sled back to the stock condition.

Any aftermarket suggestions would also be appreciated! ;)

or...

WTB: 2002 Husqvarna WR250 Stock OEM or QUIET exhaust pipe/Spark arrestor combination.

WTB: Stock odo set-up. Mine came without one. :bang:

Thanks!

silvergilly

May 1, 2005
Hi Guys

Just got a new 05 Wr250 3 weeks ago. Last bike was a blue 03 wr450f.
Some feedback.

Jetting has been changed by dealer to 30 pilot 59 needle 2nd clip from top and 380main. The engine feels nice and sharp, seems quite sensitive to idle air screw and temperature. Minor changes make a big difference to response and feel. Kinda wish 4th and 5th were taller, have tried the 14t front but dont like the taller 1st and wider 2-3.
Suspension- Fork feels a little harsh on the smaller stuff but great on everything else, compression is all the way out as delivered.
Rear- no complaints, other than backing of the HSCD and adding 1 1/2 turns of preload no changes here. I'm about 100kg geared ready to ride.

I love the light flickable feel and awesome brakes, do miss the lecky start a little though.

This thing is a real tractor down low and an animal in the mid /top - great fun. I have ordered a v-force3 reed setup as other local guys seem to get good results, I'll Let you know how it goes.

bud

Jun 29, 1999
gday silvergilly. Where are you riding? I'm about 100k se of melbourne and find the 30 pilot a bit lean (32.5 is right) and went back to the 400 main from a 380 since it was pinging under heavy load at wfo. This is my 4th husky wr250 and the best in every way except the forks! Stiction city :(. My 04 had great stock forks but I'm probably going to have to get the forks revalved on the 05.

silvergilly

May 1, 2005
Hey Bud,
I'm Melbourne based north side. My jetting seems good at the moment, It has been pretty warm though I guess it could change as it cools down. No pinging either. The only thing thats a little problem is the fuel range, I get around 75k Before reserve. Is this normal?? I'm gonna check the float height....... any other suggestions? Anyone?

bud

Jun 29, 1999
gilly I often only get 60k before hitting reserve. If range is really important you could try the other slide (no 4) and the 60 needle on the 2nd top clip. I haven't tried the leaner slide in the 05 but I found it increased fuel range a fair bit in my 04 at the expense of a bit of low end power. The 05 was only pinging at wfo under very heavy loads in sandy type stuff with the 380 main.

G520

May 1, 2005
top speed is limited by the cr tranny-found out that a 4th and 5th gear from a 2001 real WR will slide right in

DC-1

Are you sure the taller 4th and 5th gears will slide right in? Has someone you know actually done this?

Top Bottom