hoov165x

May 31, 2002
One of my riding buddies just got a new WR 250 and today he ran out of fuel @ 33 miles. What is up with that? Anyone with the same experience? The '04 has much more power than his previous 2002 WR- maybe a little too much. Nice bike though.

Taliesin

May 11, 2000
I got about 45-50 miles or about 2 1/2 hrs ridding to a tank.From my experiance you need to go down one size with the idle jet & main jet.A bit rich as they come from Husky.You will find them a lot crisper & won't stall so often in tight woods.

Bliz

Dec 25, 1999
Isn't that the trend now? Make the gas tank small and when all the magazines test your bike they will rave about how light and compact the bike is. KTM is doing this on most of there bikes along with Yamaha on their 05 WR's. Unfortunately magazine testers are too stupid to realize it doesn't make any difference how small and compact your bike is if it isn't moving because it's out of gas.

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
ok, better now.... 380 Main, #2, 32.5 pilot, as 1.5. 55 miles on the tank and still fuel left. Also- reserve capacity seems to be LARGER now (for '04)- close to a gallon? That is why only 28 miles to reserve last weekend.

mac37

Mar 21, 2002
Hoov165x,
Are you talking about Adam with the '02 Husky w/6000+ miles? Do you like this bike better than the KTM 400? Why/Why not? I'm thinking of picking one up from Bill.

Tugsy

Feb 24, 2004
I just got ride of my 400 EXC for the WR 250 and could not be happier. LIGHT is the word and great cornering. I see very little loss in power so far but I am still breakingthe bike in. No more valves.

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
Tugsy said:
Hoov is that #2 on the 3 slide (stock) and what elevation are you riding?

Yes, #3 slide and #2 groove on the stock needle. Elevation is 1500-3500' @ 40degrees F. This is my riding partners bike as mine is still brand new in the garage. He said it wasn't perfect but much better. He is one of those guys that just likes to ride and not tune so it is hard to get much useful info from him. I am the opposite so when I start riding the new steed I will be working on the jetting situation diligently. I am a hard core snowmobiler so my bike won't see any action until April or so. Until then I will be gleaning all useful info from this site! BTW did you notice that your manual calls for the #4 slide to be stock?

bud

Jun 29, 1999
re reserve, I found it inconsistent. Sometimes it seems there half a tank left, others there's the traditional cupful left. That's my only real beef with this bike.

#4 slide was stock in 02 and previous bikes. #3 is stock in the 04's. Manual's a tad behind the times.

hoov165x

May 31, 2002
mac37 said:
Hoov165x,
Are you talking about Adam with the '02 Husky w/6000+ miles? Do you like this bike better than the KTM 400? Why/Why not? I'm thinking of picking one up from Bill.

Yup that's the guy. I haven't ridden mine yet but I have ridden Adam's and I can tell you that it is a WAY better chassis than the KTM. I have had 3 KTM's and I really don't like them. There are always major suspension issues and the chassis is not very good. Did you read Jack McGraths (Jeremy's dad) comments about the KTM? They were not exactly sugar coated. He is kind of like Hannah as he does not care to be "politically correct." I believe that KTM HAS done a great job in marketing, wining and dining the mags, and offering a bike that is ready to go for offroad. That does not make it a good bike, however. My '04 400 had a wonderful motor, but the rest of the bike sucked. The Husky is way more stable, tracks better, and turns better.

Top Bottom