sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i just bought a 04 rm 85 last weekend it is the small wheel version. As it stands now i need a whole new rear wheel.
I was thinking of upgrading to a big wheel kit seeing as i need one wheel already. Does anyone know if i need to change any thing else other than the wheels , also will the front hub work with a big wheel rim and spokes? not concerned about rear
i will be getting that as one setup
ty
sparky

May 5, 2007
I dont know. But wheels as a whole setup are pretty expensive,I think my friends for his kx 85(no big wheel) was 300$.That isnt the kinda cash i have to throw around.And why do you want a big wheel,I think they have to run supermini class at some tracks if your a racer.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i want the big wheel's so my g/f's son can ride it he is not comfortable on my rm 125and the reg wheel may be tad small (it will not be raced)
as far as cost for new wheels thats ok seeing as i bought the bike for only 500$ (with title in hand) so if i get reg wheel for 300$ or so i still only have 800$ or so in it

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
you will also need the longer swingarm. Then you need the bigger front wheel. gets expensive really quick unless you get one off the auction site. huge difference in the size of the bike.
Don't forget you'll need to revalve for the different length swingarm. 1+" is a huge difference in valving.

If your hub is still good you can get a new hoop and relace it. this will save some $$$ still need the swingarm though.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
no hub need to go all new.
think ill just stick to the little wheels or just make the kid ride the 125 :laugh: and part out the rm or re sell it

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
239 plus ship on auction site only 1 on there at this time

found one from company called rad mfg in motorcross action mag for 329 ish new no disc rotor or sprocket
about 400 from my local suzuki shop with my discount

but even if i go new i am still ahead of the game

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
yeah don't buy that one...looks like i'll need it. broke the sprocket off he hub today on ours. I'm probably going billet hub with new spokes and some excel rims. We get a deal from our sponsor. I'll price the setup and let you know.

Halfast816

Mar 21, 2005
I have a 2003 RM 85 L that I am looking to convert to the small wheel version. The guy bought it for his son to race not knowing about the L version. The dealership knew what he wanted but sold him this one anyway. New this year. Couldn't figure out why it was such a 'good deal' now he knows. If you are interested in swapping parts let me know.

sparkysakitas

~SPONSOR~
Aug 31, 2005
i am going to keep the bike a little wheel so when my g/f moves up from the drz she can ride the rm
if you interested in getting rid of the back rim from your rm let me know

150rguy

I got fat bars!
Dec 21, 2006
Wheels can be more than $900. if you're looking for a good set of wheels (exel rims, talon hubs or something like that) you'll be at around $800 or more for both wheels.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
Halfast816 said:
I have a 2003 RM 85 L that I am looking to convert to the small wheel version. The guy bought it for his son to race not knowing about the L version. The dealership knew what he wanted but sold him this one anyway. New this year. Couldn't figure out why it was such a 'good deal' now he knows. If you are interested in swapping parts let me know.

We've seen this a lot at our tracks. we started letting beginners run big wheels so they get their feet wet and when they win a few races and get bumped they have to pony up and get the small wheels.

Top Bottom