woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Take off the kill switch and pull a CRF450 under it :) Sorry but I couldnt resist.. Open up the airbox, put a pipe on it (do a little research about what you want the bike to do - there are TONS of pipes with different applications), REJET, put a BIG nob on it so your using all the power available.. I did my 95 up big time with a big bore kit, JLE high comp piston, carb, cam, pipe - fun bike but couldnt get away from having to run TORCO HIGH octane fuel and within a very short few minutes I was WAY out riding the frame capabilites of the bike (Needed BBR frame REAL BAD!!). I wouldn't spend the big bucks again but go with just the basics as I mentioned at first and RIDE IT!

Thrasher

Feb 19, 2004
Should of spent the extra 1000-1300 dollars on the CRf 250x. twice the power, more suspension, 50 lbs lighter plus electric start. I know that doesn't answer your question but its something to think about before you start spending the money to mod the XR.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Thrasher said:
Should of spent the extra 1000-1300 dollars on the CRf 250x. twice the power, more suspension, 50 lbs lighter plus electric start. I know that doesn't answer your question but its something to think about before you start spending the money to mod the XR.
Twice the power? I doubt that.
More suspension? Define more. Longer travel? Not TWICE as much. Then it may also be too stiff.
50 pounds lighter? LOL! 240 pounds vs 228 pounds works out closer to 12 pounds in my world.
Electric start? Yup it does have that. It also has radiators, and water pump and other maintenance and crash damage prone items that the XR does not have. Let's also not forget the power delivery is worlds apart. Heck why not just say go get a KTM 525e/xc and be done with it?

Everybody has different needs and desires for the type of riding they do. For me an XR250R based bike is proving to be better than anything I've had in the past. It might not be forever but right now it's the best bike I've ever ridden for what I want to do.

Now to the question at hand. Removing the snorkle from the airbox will open things up as will a UniFilter with their free flowing filter cage. Pulling the head pipe and doing a little grinding on the welds on the cylinder end of the pipe will make it flow MUCH better but not as well as a well designed system. For that I'd really suggest getting with Thunder Alley (thunderalley.net) for a complete system with spark arrestor to stay USFS legal. SRC offers a fork brace that will help if you are experiencing flex in the front end. I'd suggest looking in to a good skid plate (I use a Moose) to protect things. There will be a writeup posted soon with pictures and details of all the modifications made when building my XR284R. If you want a taste check out my gallery.

If you want a bombproof bike that is low maintenance and with potential to become a very potent woods ride you chose well. :thumb:

showphoto.php

Last edited:

xr284

Mar 18, 2003
Im pretty sure you dont want to dive into the motor seeing that its brand new. The things i did to my 250 to see the best gains were, supertrapp pipe(Loud but powerful), XR 400 oil cooler, k&n air filter(this way you still get the flow without having to cut open the airbox). if you still want more i definitly recomend the 284cc kit, match that with a cam and the motor comes to life!!

Excellent choice on the xr 250, these things are bulletproof. honda kept the same motor for about 18 years that tells you something right there.

Uchytil

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 29, 2003
280 Kit?

This is the bike I'm looking at also, I have a lead on a 92 with a White Bros 280 kit installed, anybody know anyhting about this mod? Parts changed for mod, durability, upkeep, etc.

xr284

Mar 18, 2003
The 280 is probably just a bore with a higher compression piston. My 284 had a 12:1 compression ratio, and i could run 50/50 mix pump and race gas. They have kits up to like 14:1 i believe, but then you need a carrilo rod. My 1993 284 was still very reliable. Check to see if he has a xr 400 oil cooler because the 250 cooler is too small and oil temps go through the roof!! If he put a cam in it i would go for it. I was very pleased with my 284. The cam made such a big difference.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
SRC sells a kit that puts the OEM Honda XR400 oil cooler with all factory hoses on the '96 and up XR250's which did not have any oil cooler, money well spent in my book. Depending on what kind of power you are looking for be selective on the different compression ratios and cam choices. For monster low end Rich built mine with the stock cam and 10.5:1 compression. Going balls out on modifications pretty much makes something like a new "X" a more reasonable alternative. Sticking with making good RELIABLE power is what will keep it most XR-like.

Highbeam

~SPONSOR~
Jun 13, 2001
Thanks Pat for fighting the XR fight. If anything I'd say remove the kill switch and pull an XR400 underneath of it but that is not productive.

I would not trade my XR for anything currently available. It has served me very well in all kinds of competitive and non competitive events.

First thing I would do is put real bark busters on it and a stout skid plate.

woodsy

~SPONSOR~
Mi. Trail Riders
Jan 16, 2002
Just wanna make sure that you guys dont misunderstand my comment about driving a CRF under it's kill switch... That was made STRICKLY for the HORSEPOWER gain idea!!
I most certainly AGREE 100% with Patman's and Highbeams comments!! That is EXACTLY what I was trying to get across! IMHO the XR250 is an awesome bike in its own right. I had a 84 XL250 that was an absoulute RIOT on hills - after some small mods - BIG REAR TIRE - it had somuch low end and was built with such sweet balance that you could almost go vertical - I really miss it!! My 95 XR250 was AWESOME until I went WAY over board on the motor - I wish I would have done exactly what I was trying to say and saved the BIG bucks I spent on it - bought a KX500 to D/S and go fast on and kept it to goof around in the muck with!!

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
In my option. On a 04 the only thing I'd touch. Al Baker XR only header & FMF Q pipe. And a set of Renthal handles bars. Then I'd have the suspension upgraded to your weight and have gold valve emulator in stalled in your forks. You'll love that bike! And in a couple years when it's topend time do the White Brothers or Al Baker Big bore kit.

70 marlin

Mi. Trail Riders
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Aug 15, 2000
All the poop!

FORTYPLUS said:
This is the bike I'm looking at also, I have a lead on a 92 with a White Bros. 280 kit installed, anybody know anything about this mod? Parts changed for mod, durability, upkeep, etc.
The 280 kit is just a bigger piston & ring's as long as you keep good oil and you don't over heat it. It should last just as long as the stock bore.
The XR only header & super trap. Will give the 280 more torque and rev. It pulls great third gear wheelies if you want.
I still run the stock air box and lid. So I can help you there.
Suspension upgrades are the most bang for the buck!
The Mikuni 33mm flat slide carb up grade. Will give you more rev. but can also give you a very slight flat spot mid throttle. Also cold starts it can be a bit finicky I rode my 280 on the pipe. So the flat spot never was an issue. If I had it to do over again I'd keep the stock carb or buy a pumper style carb. :thumb:

Last edited:

mafols

Sponsoring Member
Nov 24, 2001
XR mods.

I have a 96' model that I've made improvements to little by little over the last four years. The list includes, but is not limited to:
- Suspension- MX Tech...revalved and stiffer springs front and rear ( riding weight with gear, H2O, tool kit, etc. 195 lbs.)
The stiffer springs up front made a world of difference for the notorious nose dive during hard braking.
- Engine - Stroker exhaust; Mikuni 33mm pumper carb.; Hot Cam; Air box to carb. boot off of XR400( less restriction and fits up to the larger carb. nice)277cc bore with JE 10.5:1 comp. piston; oil cooler off of a 86' model( $35 thanks to E-bay).

I really like my XR...like others have said in this thread, it's a great bike in the woods...I'll probably keep it forever.

My most recent mod.....CRF250X!!! :thumb:

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
The XR250 is the best all around do anything dirtbike there is. I have one that I even use for a streetbike. Anything with wheels down here is considered street legal even my MX bikes get ridden on the street occasionally, got to break them in right. Fork springs, fork brace and an Ohlins shock make it one great handling woods bike. The best thing about the XR is when you head off into the jungle you know it will bring you back. I buried mine in quicksand one day, after my friends dragged it out of the swamp, dunked it in the ocean to get the goop off of it, it started after a few kicks and got me home.

RMcommando

Aug 19, 2003
Respect to XRs! I own a 94 model and she still goes like a new one. Can beat mate's 2001 that's for sure. I would definetly advise getting renthal handle bars, that's all i'd do. They're perfect. I ride mine in town, on camp and fly down the by-pass on it. Second to none.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
Stock bore for a while? Here are the XR250R basics.

Pull the snorkel. Replace filter basket with a UNI plastic model, or cut the wire mesh out of the stocker (lots of opinions yes/no on this mod).

Replace the baffle with a '98 and later XR400 baffle. Don't run without a baffle in the stock can - way to loud and hurts bottom end throttle response. You'll have to waller out the mounting holes in the baffle a bit but it will fit.

Pull the head pipe off and grind out the welds that hold the flanges on. There is an XR400 article on Thumpertalk I think with pics about how to do this.

Consider going up a size or two on the main jet after the intake and exhaust mods are made if you get lean symptoms - pinging, running hot, long choke time to keep it running when starting cold, too white a plug reading.

Replace the fork springs with Racetech k430 springs. Replace the stock fork oil while at it and put in 570cc of oil per leg.

Replace the bars with CR Hi Bend Renthals (89-91 Honda CR bend).

Get someone who knows what they are doing help you with rear sag setting after the fork work is done. The short wheelbase 250 is very sensitive to sag settings. Also help with setting up the controls - bar angle, level placement, shifter and brake pedal placement. These bikes can have perfect ergos and really be good mounts for fast/precise riding. Not a girlie bike - a very capable bike that can teach you bunches about corner entry speed, correct use of brakes, throttle, etc.

Later mods: Go to the Wiseco 12:1 5mm over piston. While the head is off go ahead a pop for 1 to 1.5 hours of porting clean up. Just did this on mine (was 4mm over and stock compression). Runs AWESOME. Lots more bottom and mid, then pulls right up to the top. More power everywhere. Should stay reliable, considering at 12:1 and me at altitude it is not even making stock compression at sea level.

Change out and bleed the brake fluid at least twice a year. Like most hondas, the little xr has excellent binders.

Put a Scotts dampner on it when changing out the bars. The bike needs it with the short wheelbase.

Run a 100/100 rear tire, not a bigger tire. Effects the gear ratios and makes it harder to turn.

Buy a case of Castrol GTX 10-40 for cooler months/climates or 20-50 for warmer months/climates and a half dozen oil filters from Honda. Keep the oil fresh in this thing. Get good at filling it up. About 1.25 quarts, then start and run for a few minutes, then dump in the remaining. The oil level is flaky on the bike. Change it often and fill the correct amount, and what the dipstick is telling you is irrelevant as long as it is not burning a bunch of oil.

Have fun with your new mount! Just spent 2 days in Moab on mine. Rode some gnarly stuff (Moab Rim Trail, Porcupine Rim, Hell's Revenge; 5MOH has still snowed in) on the trusty 284 and would not have preferred any other bike.

Leo in Colorado.

slideways11

Sponsoring Member
Apr 18, 2000
What Tex said...plus at sea level a 135 main and a 48 pilot works well for me.

1350CFM

Feb 25, 2004
If your buying a new bike(250) and don't think it will have enough power I would suggest that you kick in a few bucks and get the 400. That way you'll save money in the long run and have a QUIET bike. Those loud aftermarket systems that add 1 horsepower at 9,000 RPM are a waste of money and bad for our sport. Plus when you go to sell your bike with tons of aftermarket parts and big bore kits most guys won't touch them. I wouldn't buy a heavily modified bike because I assume they are beat and abused.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
The 250 and 400 are very different bikes. VERY DIFFERENT. It is not just about displacement and power.

I have no plans to sell my bike. I made it for me to ride, not to sell. Opinions are like a-holes - everybody has one.

pdiddy

Mar 5, 2004
1350CFM said:
If your buying a new bike(250) and don't think it will have enough power I would suggest that you kick in a few bucks and get the 400. That way you'll save money in the long run and have a QUIET bike. Those loud aftermarket systems that add 1 horsepower at 9,000 RPM are a waste of money and bad for our sport. Plus when you go to sell your bike with tons of aftermarket parts and big bore kits most guys won't touch them. I wouldn't buy a heavily modified bike because I assume they are beat and abused.

A friend of mine has a 2001 XR250 with an FMF Q muffler and it isn't loud at all. My dad's 02 has the Supertrapp. It is louder and does make more power, but the FMF works great. And you dont have to wear earplugs while riding the bike.

The main problem that my dad and my friend were fixing with the bike was that it bogged with the stock muffler as soon as the throttle was whacked open. If I buy an XR, I am buying a Q before I leave the dealer. And ProTaper bars....... :thumb:

The XR400 isn't just more $$$, its heavier and taller.

procircuit08

Apr 26, 2003
1996 xr250 is the same

i have a 1996 xr250r that its maxed out to the limit. I have a Big Gun exhaust and header which made a huge difference. that satisfied me for a little while then i got the 280cc kit. this was the same power increase as the full exhaust and it satisfied me for a little bit. i just got an fcr pumper carb which made the diggest difference out of all of them. i'm starting to run race gas which gives it 4 more horsepower but you have to be willing to spend $5-$6 a gallon. the complete exhaust, 280cc kit, and carb was about $1250. if u get the carbuerator you have to get the Xr400 air boot and cables.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Race gas giving 4hp on an lightly modded XR250? I'd like to see the dyno chart for this.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
you and me both Brother. You gonna drag that underpowered ill-handling POS up here this year or what? Maybe we'd both be better off trading them for an XR 400 :-)Riding season has started in the southern part of the state about 1.5 hrs from here. Also Utah is primo right now. Leo.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
YES! This year for sure or I will have to take up knitting!! Perhaps the week prior to DW'04 if that will work. Gona' have to find some of that speical race gas sine I'll be dropping a few HP at elevation.

Top Bottom