jefflesh

May 2, 2006
I just bought a new 2006 KX250 and I have some concerns.

1) The bike seems to take off good but after about a second of giving it gas it falls on its face.

2) The idle is rough after driving it for a few minutes.

I bought the bike today and the dealer did not give me the owner’s manual and I am not sure what to check to correct these conditions. I assume that it has something to do with the fuel mixture, fuel/oxygen mixture or fuel amount. Anyone have any ideas?

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

SirHilton17

Aug 6, 2005
Yea, you need to jet it...

To be honest the manual doesnt help much for jetting... To get the right jetting you have to play around a bit...

Just as long as you know how to take the carb off, you can change the jets...

Someone will end up posting "spankys" jetting guide so if you need help just goto it...

Good luck

sick 96 250

Damn Yankees
Jul 16, 2004
the dealer should of given you a manual but majority of the time bikes come from the dealer jetted rich and normally need leaned out a little. I would go back and ask for the owners manual, you just spent that much $$$ on a bike, they better give you one!!!

KX02

Jan 19, 2004
I bought a JDJetting kit for my 2005. I was able to get it jetted really nicely without too much effort with his kit. I did have to buy one size smaller pilot than what he supplied in the kit, other than that the kit is great! Congrats on the bike, once you get it jetted, you will find out that it is a rocket!

apb

Feb 1, 2005
There is lots of jetting info/links in the stickie on the top of this forum, that should help you a bunch once you familiarize yourself with the process. Enjoy the new bike

jefflesh

May 2, 2006
Thanks all for your post.

The jet position on my carb was in the groove second from the top. To lean this carb out I would move it to the top most position; correct?

Also, is there a good trick for removing and installing the carb? That was a pain in the a$#!

Thanks again for your replies.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

chevy383cid

Aug 26, 2005
Install a fresh plug and do a throttle chop!!! It will tell you what is needed. Read the jetting links. The bike should not fall real flat even with a rich stock jetting,and the idle should not be eratic.Play with the idle mixture screw(start with 1-1/2 turns out from full closed.

NacNac250F

Apr 15, 2003
You got to remember too, it's brand new there might be some crazy 15:1 fuel:oil ratio in there too for break in. You should get the manual and read the break in procedure, shouldnt be gettin on it right off the showroom. Everything is new it needs to break in. After its broken in run it hard like it should be then worry about your jetting.

SADude

Jul 8, 2004
Break in is normallay done at 32:1. I have a 2006 KX250, I am not sure what you altertude is or what your climate is there, but I am running the following settings: Main Jet 155, Pilot Jet 45, needle in the 2nd clip form the top,air screw 2 turns out. (Standard 160/48, needle in 2nd clip from the top and air screw 1 ½ turns out). I also run my mixture at 40:1 will motul 600. I do mainly slow technical trail riding, so I am thinking of going down to a 42 pilot jet, just to clean up the bottom a little.

The owners manual gives you quite a good idea on jetting the bike for different altertudes and climates, I suggest you go and get yours.

kshackleton

Oct 12, 2005
jefflesh said:
Thanks all for your post.

The jet position on my carb was in the groove second from the top. To lean this carb out I would move it to the top most position; correct?

Also, is there a good trick for removing and installing the carb? That was a pain in the a$#!
kshackleton said:
You don't need to remove the carb at all....to change the needle....remove the seat and fuel tank, then you can easily get at the top of the carb.

For jet changes, simply loosen the intake and aircleaner bands and rotate the carb until you can remove the plug on the bottom of the bowl....both pilot and main jets are right there.

Ken
Thanks again for your replies.

Thank you for your time.

Sincerely,

Jeff

jefflesh

May 2, 2006
kshackleton,

Thanks for your post.

I figured out the easy way to pull the top of the carb off yesterday. Thanks for the info though.

I adjusted the air mixture screw a little and it seems like it got a little better. I also pulled out the spark plug today and boy was it black. I cleaned it off with some gas and put it back in, I will test the results of this tomorrow.

The dealer ship told me that it will run like it is until it is broken in, I'm not sure I am believing them though, nothing else I bought new acted like this.

Oh well, I will keep playing with it.

Thanks all for your posts.

Sincerely,

Jeff

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Gidday, I have an 06 as well and after a little fettling I've ended up with a 42 pilot and although I did try the needle clip in the top most position, the bike started to "hunt" a little at half throttle if I slowly ran off the throttle... I read that as a too lean condition. I put it back to the 2nd clip and all was sweet.
I still get a bit of spooge out the muffler but it feels strong everywhere. I'm about to do the true plug reading/ Spanky method of tuning through the entire range to make sure...I'd recommend you do it too! It's a fantastic bike in all conditions ... you'll love it! Just make sure you smoke all them 4 strokes as often as possible ha ha ha...

kiwijohn

Dec 22, 2004
Team Green specs...

Hmmmm, I just found the following Pro Circuit "recommendations" for the 05 KX250.... :think:

Stock Main - 160 PC - 165
Stock Needle position - 2 PC - same
Stock Pilot Jet - 50 PC - 52
Stock Air screw - 1 1/2 turns PC - same
Oil mix at 32: 1
Above suitable for seal level to 3000 feet.

I have an 06 KX250, but I'd normally assume that stock bikes are too rich from stock, but PC are going with more fuel delivery in every jet.... do they know something I don;t??

Cheers fellas

Top Bottom