lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
Recently checked and adjusted my valves (left intake was 2,000s out of spec) and swapped out my 42 pilot jet for a 46 to combat excessive backfiring I was having. Mixture screw is set at 1 1/4 turns out and overall the bike runs awesome but man is it a b***h to start. Talking about 5 - 7 kicks before its running then after letting it warm up for a couple minutes with the choke on, it dies when I go to take it off the stand. After it dies it is nearly impossible to start and requires bump starting. I'm new to 4 strokes and am not quite used to how finicky they can be as compared to their 2T siblings. Is there another jet in the carb I should change since I adjusted the pilot? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

lukesh40

Dec 8, 2005
I should mention too that once it's good and warmed up, meaning I've been riding for 10 minutes or so, it starts with only 1 or 2 kicks. Just a major pain to get going when it is cold. When I bought the thing in May it always started first or second kick until I started trouble shooting with the mixture screw to get rid of all the backfiring. After that it never started as easily which is what prompted me to finally change the pilot jet and check the valves.

Chili

Lifetime Sponsor - Photog Moderator
Apr 9, 2002
I'd likely start with a leakdown test. So far each 4 stroke we've owned each had their own starting ritual that once you learned it made cold starting much easier. I know with my son's last 2 250F's when the bike was cold I'd put on the choke and give it a blip of throttle before kicking it over. If it was very cold out I'd give 2 or 3 blips and they usually fired up in a couple of kicks.

whenfoxforks-ruled

Old MX Racer
~SPONSOR~
Oct 19, 2006
Merrillville,Indiana
The leak/power jet controls the amount of fuel for the ap circuit. For nice response the ap timing needs to be spot on. The mixture screw replaces the air screw. The mixture screw can need adjustment, a lot. Hence the after market easy adjustable screw. The rest is the same as any other carb. Vintage Bob

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
Check the valves again. Sounds like they are tight. Use the metric system, it will make things much easier.

ALso where did you get a 46 pilot? 42,45,48 are the sizes right in there that you can purchase. How many turns out on the fuel screw are you?

Top Bottom