Aryain

!!!!!!
~SPONSOR~
Feb 13, 2007
Alright, so I'm having some troubles with my bike and I was hoping someone on here would have some advice or opinions for me before I take it into the shop. I'm no tech, so any help is greatly appreciated.

I bought the thing brand new from the dealership and it had some problems from the beginning, but at the time I didn't have transportation back to the dealer and I was too excited and proud to admit that something was wrong with it.

Anyways, now my 30 day [such a generous warranty might I add......] warranty is up and the thing is not even rideable.

It obviously has problems in the carburetor I just know next to nothing about what or how to fix it.

When started it idles way too high, until I play with the idle adjuster to get it to a reasonable idle. Then when it's at a good idle, if I get on it, it bogs and dies. Then I start it and it idles back up high. Also if I get it idling right, then start to ride, the idle automatically just goes back up to the point that its almost over-revving.

I called Yamaha and asked them if there was anything they would do, but of course, I pretty much got the "You're screwed, you waited too long" speech.

Some people think it's the choke sticking, other people think the entire carb is just not right. I don't have any idea. The choke appears to be in normal working order, but who am I to say.

Thanks,
Austin.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
Well it never hurts to ask which you did and then you found out that excuses don't usually cut it. Move on it's not Yamaha's or the dealer's fault you didn't follow the rules and is no longer part of the problem.

If you don't have the ability to diagnose and resolve the issue yourself you need to take the bike to somebody that can fix it for you. That may be the dealer or it may be a good independant shop. Learning how to deal with basic problems will save you a lot of money if you plan to keep riding. If you plan to start learning pick up a factory Yamaha Service Manual for your bike. It's the same book the dealer will use and it details most everything you will every want to do to the bike. You might also do well to do some reading vial Eric Gorr's web site and pick up a couple of his books as they explain the details of how and why with easy to understand words and great pictures.

Matt90GT

May 3, 2002
30 days is generous on a race bike. No one else does it. Could you imagine a NASCAR or Indy car with a 30 day warranty?!!! Yeah, it is what it is.

But every yamaha I have ever bought comes with a factory service manual. Did you get one?

Last 09 that I messed with was not that different from an 07 a friend had. First off the float level is WAY high on them needing adjustment, the leak jet is very hard to dial in - best bet is to spend the $100-150 on a cover with adjustable leak jet from R&D racing, up the pilot to a 45 and then adjust the fuel screw. I would guess your main problem is a plugged up pilot jet. Common with bikes in storage and the crappy fuel around. Also check your intake boot is tight to the head and the carb. Would not hurt to pull it off the head and inspect the seal or Oring there (forget which it is).

So clean the carb, adjust the float level, installing a factory R&D AP cover with ALJ, 45 pilot and get an extended fuel screw installed while the carb is out. Then you can dial in the carb externally pretty much once you have the needle in the right clip.

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
When making sure your boot is tight, remember that if you make the clamp too tight it's actually easier for it to come off. (sort of like squeezing a bar of soap with wet hands) Snug will do it.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom