AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
I posted it in the general forum, then thought it more appropriate here..
Service Kawasaki 2012 KDX200AF
216 pounds, (all ready ,except fuel)

ADSC_0174.jpg

ArightDSC_0187.jpg

AleftDSC_0210.jpg

aDSC_0194.jpg

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
The KX500AF is 12,499..

keep in mind a KX500 engine assembled new from parts is 6K
and the 250F bike to modify is 6K.
add in the other parts and labor needed to convert a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke and you easily have a 12K bike, even after we sell the 250F engine out.

All the parts for the engine in any of our bikes are ordered individually from the OEMS and hand assembled in our shop, and Both Honda and Kawasaki parts add up.

It is not an inexpensive way to build a motorcycle,but if the OEMS drop a beloved model, it really is the only way to bring it back as a new motorcyle,and in a new chassis an improved one.

The KDX200AF and KDX220AF :)
wil run about the same as the 2012 KX500AF and 2012 KX250AF bikes,
the parts are roughly the same price to build this model.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
AJ Waggoner said:
The KX500AF is 12,499..

keep in mind a KX500 engine assembled new from parts is 6K
and the 250F bike to modify is 6K.
add in the other parts and labor needed to convert a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke and you easily have a 12K bike, even after we sell the 250F engine out.

All the parts for the engine in any of our bikes are ordered individually from the OEMS and hand assembled in our shop, and Both Honda and Kawasaki parts add up.

It is not an inexpensive way to build a motorcycle,but if the OEMS drop a beloved model, it really is the only way to bring it back as a new motorcyle,and in a new chassis an improved one.

The KDX200AF and KDX220AF :)
wil run about the same as the 2012 KX500AF and 2012 KX250AF bikes,
the parts are roughly the same price to build this model.

wow thats alot of money..have you ever thought to put your efforts towards producing a decent dual sport that can be tagged in all states

ericmiles

Jan 15, 2010
Wow...looks great.
It is kind of crazy that Kawasaki dropped such a reliable selling model from their lineup. Hey you guys over in Japan...build us this bike and it will sell.

sr5bidder

Oct 27, 2008
if the specs are right that af is only 8 lbs lighter than a stock kdx...take the oem pipe and silencer of and replace with an fmf and it would be about the same if not lighter.

I wonder how much range is given up with the small tank on the AF?

it does look sweet though

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
sr5bidder said:
if the specs are right that af is only 8 lbs lighter than a stock kdx...take the oem pipe and silencer of and replace with an fmf and it would be about the same if not lighter.

I wonder how much range is given up with the small tank on the AF?

it does look sweet though

Well ,i do hope someone weighs a stock KDX200 ready to ride, as I really have a hard time believing the Kawaski original specs.OEMs are known to twist numbers a bit ..
I've owned a KDX 200, great bike, but one thing it was not, is light.

The big impressions it made where the great engine,
and the very heavy and hinged feel(but thats just me)
*shrugs*

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
mudpack said:
Who does this?

That Service KDX200 is flat sweet.

we do?
Here at Service Kawasaki..

Last edited:

duncanstives

Sep 11, 2009
Love my kdx and plan to keep it forever but my next addition to the fleets definitely gonna be a kx500... I have read all about the Service Honda ones and would love one but it's 10x as much as what I'll pay for a decent running regular old used one... So I'll stick with the old used one for now. Planning on plating it. Out where i live the DMV folks don't know that two strokes are not allowed to be registered for street use... LOL

Pretty sweet to know that if i ever get the urge to buy a new bike I'll still be able to pick up an awesome two stroke though... Keep up the good work!

_JOE_

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2007
There were lots of 2 stroke street bikes in the 70s/80s.....I don't think simply being 2 stroke would prevent you from registering a bike. There's a few plated 2 stroke mx bikes here, it would be awesome if the Service bikes could be made street legal. 500AF/SM? :aj: :aj:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
_JOE_ said:
There were lots of 2 stroke street bikes in the 70s/80s.....I don't think simply being 2 stroke would prevent you from registering a bike. There's a few plated 2 stroke mx bikes here, it would be awesome if the Service bikes could be made street legal. 500AF/SM? :aj: :aj:

it depends on the state,

I had a CR500AF ,super motard plated and street registered for a few years, until it got stolen..

I havnt super motarded out any of my personal bikes since then,but it was a true blast!

dirt bike dave

Sponsoring Member
May 3, 2000
I've plated a KDX200 and a KDX250 in California, and know a few guys with plates on their KTM300's.

Did many dual sport runs, freestyle as well as orgainzed rides on KDXs. Not optimum for the highway, but lots of fun in the dirt.

When I converted mine, it was 100% legal to do and the exact same process as converting an XR250.

The laws here changed a few years ago, though.

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
AJ Waggoner said:
we do?
Here at Service Kawasaki..
No....I mean convert a 4 stroke engine to a 2 stroke:

"Originally Posted by AJ Waggoner
add in the other parts and labor needed to convert a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke and.... "

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
mudpack said:
No....I mean convert a 4 stroke engine to a 2 stroke:

"Originally Posted by AJ Waggoner
add in the other parts and labor needed to convert a 4 stroke to a 2 stroke and.... "

I dint say engine actually? ;)

Ok, is this more technically correct?

Convert a 4 stroke motorcycle, into a two stroke motorcycle
:)

engines are replacable afterall

mudpack

Nov 13, 2008
Is putting a KDX200 engine in a KX250F chassis converting a 2 stroke to a 4 stroke, converting a 4 stroke to a 2-stroke...or neither?

My vote is for "neither".
An engine swap is not a "conversion", in my book.

I guess it comes down to: is a motorcycle the engine, or is it the chassis? In a car/truck, it's the chassis. In a bike, you could say it's the engine. Again, not a conversion, but a swap. Nit-picking, I know.... :)

Regardless, I'd like to have that bike!!!!! :cool:

AJ Waggoner

Crash Test Dummy
Nov 5, 1999
lol

Well in the simplest form-

If a random person asks me if a 2012 KX250F is a 4 stroke motorcycle..
I'd answer- yes absolutely.

If they asked me if a Service Kawasaki KDX200AF was a 2 stroke motorcycle -
I'd answer - yes absolutely.

2morestrokes

May 19, 2012
All I can say is WOW, that is the sexiest Kawi I have ever seen, and knowing the bulletproofness of that motor and tranny, i've got a woody. :nod:

jarin12ga

Sep 1, 2012
It's really sweet bike,but for 10K you can build your own cheaper to however you want it!!!Is the shocks the same in this bike or are they worked out over stock?

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
Very nice.

I can't help but look at all the space under the engine and think about how much ground clearance could be added!. Lots of work for what might be little functional gain though.

Top Bottom