22 too old to start a motocross career?

cpfrosty8

Jul 12, 2012
I'm a new member on this site and thought id ask a question right off the bat. Is 22 too old to start racing and try to go pro? Im 18 years old right now and have rode 4 wheelers and 3 wheelers since i was about 4 or 5. I was a natural on them. granted it took alot of practice to master. I recently switched over to a 98' cr250 dirt bike. been riding it almost everyday when it isnt breaking down. At first I was horrible at riding it now i feel just as confident on it as I did at the end of my atv days. I haven't hit an "official" track yet but i will soon once i save up some cash. I do hit some decent size jumps, ditches and such and get some good air. its all i can do right now till i can afford to go to a track and to have gas all day there. I leave for the marines in september of this year, and I really want to pursue a motocross career after my 4 year infantry term. I'm in great physical shape now and will be in the best of my life after im out so being out of shape is not a factor here. After my term I want to take a year off or maybe a little more to see how racing plays out for me and if it doesn't I will just re-sign with the marines. I will have a decent amount of money saved up after my first term and want to put it all towards racing and I have grandparents that will proudly support me. So my question to you all is 22 too old to start and try to go pro? It's been a dream of mine since I was a kid but my dad was a full-time farmer so we didn't have the time to do it. Do you think I have a shot if I try after my term in the marines?

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Well.. until you've tried the novice class or intermediate class (to start) you'll have no idea where you are. Pro's work hard, but they were also born with talent.

Practice will make you faster, but you need to be born with the talent to go Pro (really spooky stinkin' fast) IMO.

Someone is sure to say that Dowd started at 21 and look how far he went.....but that's Dowd - he came into the world gifted.

RM_guy

Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 21, 2000
North East USA
Yeah I was going to mention Dowd. A lot of guys start so young that they are burned out by the time they are in the mid 20's. Nowadays you might find it harder to get into it than Dowd did but it's more a state of mind than age. Just have a fall back or at least a plan in place...just in case.

If you want to do it than do it! Just remember us when you are thanking your sponsors on the podium ;)

BTW, I'll than you in advance for serving!

pesky nz

Sep 13, 2010
heiki mikolla (pardon the spelling) moved from pro ice hockey to pro MX in his thirties and won a couple of world titles for Yamaha so I don't see age as your stumbling block, if you want it go after it

Ol'89r

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 27, 2000
thumbs said:
I'll be frank. The odds say you don't have snowballs chance in hell. Sorry.

:cool: Well there you have it. :whoa: I have to agree with thumbsy. Since many pro riders started when they were about 5 or 6 years old, they already have years of experience on a local and national level before even turning pro. That's not to say you can't be successful on a local or district level. Like Holeshot said, you will never know until you sign up and ride a local race. Then and only then can you get a feel for the speed and physical conditioning needed to win at mx. Good luck and thank you for your service to our country. :worship:

ChopperDave

It's been awhile...
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 1, 2004
Your life is going to change dramatically over the next few years. If racing is really a passion for you, then ride all you can while you are in the marines. You will know what to do as your time to re-enlist approaches.

As young as you are, enjoy life (responsibly)! The rest will take care of itself...

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
thumbs said:
I'll be frank. The odds say you don't have snowballs chance in hell. Sorry.
But, but... I'll be 54 next month??? :ohmy:

Okiewan

Admin
Dec 31, 1969
Texas
Ol'89r said:
:cool: Well there you have it. :whoa: I have to agree with thumbsy. Since many pro riders started when they were about 5 or 6 years old, they already have years of experience on a local and national level before even turning pro. That's not to say you can't be successful on a local or district level. Like Holeshot said, you will never know until you sign up and ride a local race. Then and only then can you get a feel for the speed and physical conditioning needed to win at mx. Good luck and thank you for your service to our country. :worship:

Listen to this man, he has many, MANY years of knowledge. Like, a WHOLE LOT OF YEARS.

I'd suggest a more reasonable goal in life.
That's when you are most likely going to realize that you aren't nearly as fast as you might think. Even the "spodes" in a National are FAST local guys, and as mentioned, started racing when they were 5, or younger.

Unless you have some crazy, God given talent, it aint gonna happen. The first local race you enter should be a decent indicator. If you don't lap way, I mean WAY up into the field and win going away, forget it, ride/race for the fun of it, but blow off the "professional career" thing.

Hate to be another dream buster; just keeping*real.

Top Bottom