250f

Aug 20, 2013
hello, my son has been wanting a dirt bike lately and is thirteen years old 5'5 1/2 with riding boots on and weighs approximately 100lb. we go to glamis mainly so I was hoping for him to be able to handle a 250f. he goes to the gym constantly to work out and doesn't plan on getting the bike till next season. he has grown up riding quads all his life and is an experienced rider. that's said if he does get a dirt bike it will be his first. all that considered do you think that of this present time he will be able to handle a 250f? we both know he's going to have difficulties learning in the sand but as of the height and the weight of the bike?

Thanks in advance :nod:

WoodsRider

Sponsoring Member<BR>Club Moderator
Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Too much bike in my opinion, but opinions vary. Even though he's ridden quads, riding a bike is completely different. Part of riding is learning to control the bike through the foot pegs. Start with something smaller and lighter and let him get comfortable with handling a motorcycle. When he can push the limits of the bike then he's ready to move up.

250f

Aug 20, 2013
The problem with that would be the fact that he would only be able to have a quad or a bike because we can't afford both so he would be trying to ride an 80 or something in glamis for a year destroying the motor then next year he wold have to move up so even though he's going to have trouble twist throttle,gripping the bike, getting on it do you think it wold be remotely possibly. Keep in mind the transfer wouldn't be till next year so add some pounds and height as he is growing.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Sand is probably the worst terrain for learning to ride a dirt bike. Especially if your son has trouble flat-footing it. A better option would be a Kawasaki KX100 or KTM 105SX. Both would have plenty of power for a beginner and are much easier to pick up and start when, not if, it gets dumped.

250f

Aug 20, 2013
Thank you very much for all your advice:) just one last question what about a 125 I know it's supposed to be the same thing as a 250f but I mean it lighter so he wouldn't have as hard of a time with the wheight but what about size comparison? Just looking for that little extra oomph so he can practice at glamis. I now know he won't be getting a four stroke so with the cost of a used two stroke we can keep the quad.

WoodsRider

Damn Yankees
Oct 13, 1999
Seat height would be your only concern. Being able to put both feet on the ground while sitting on the bike goes a long way towards building confidence.

Top Bottom