xShady13x

Nov 9, 2007
I recently switched over to a 4-stroke from a 2-stroke. I was told by the dealer and many others that you have to do something like kick down the kick starter slowly before starting the bike. They said it starts alot easier. If anyone knows anything about this and can go in depth or knows the proper way to start a 4-stroke please let me know. Manual doesn't say anything about kick starting at all. I have a brand new 07' RMZ 250. Bike is fine and starts fairly easy most of the time, but just wanted to clarify this once and for all.

truespode

Moderator / Wheelie King
Jun 30, 1999
The goal is to find Top Dead Center (TDC) and kick from the top down swiftly.

Basically as you slowly kick through the stroke you will feel the compression provide resistance. Once you learn what the max resistance is you will be close to figuring out where TDC is.

Once you find TDC let the kick starter come to the top of the stroke and slowly move it back down until you feel resistance. Once you feel resistance swiftly kick through the stroke forcefully.

Most of the new bikes you really don't have to do this procedure b/c of the auto decompression but it helps to know this procedure b/c after a fall or stall sometimes doing the procedure will work.

Ivan

CR Swade

~SPONSOR~
Jan 18, 2001
w/ the new auto decomp 4 strokes finding TDC is pretty much a non-issue. Correct jetting and learning to not touch the throttle AT ALL when starting will be your best starting point. Hot starting means the same...don't touch your throttle at all, but make sure to use your hot start lever.

The other issue some people have is trying to kick them too hard which spins the engine too fast. Just a deliberate kick steady but full through the arc will get the bike lit.

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
I've found that if I have to restart my bike when hot, ie: during a moto, sometimes a quick blip of the throttle then the hot start will help but for the most part finding TDC then a swift deliberate kick through does the trick. Kick the heck out of it usualy does nothing but wear you out.

mdkuder

Who me?
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 4, 2001
Cold I give it one squirt of gas and a couple kicks usually does the trick, Hot I keep the throttle off and kick until I pass out from exhaustion.

xShady13x

Nov 9, 2007
thanks for all the input guys. i havnt experimented with the throttle and giving it gas and what not, but i took it out over the weekend and finding TDC and then giving it a solid kick did the trick every time. flooded it once and did the same procedure and started 3rd kick

maxrevs666

totally rocktacular
~SPONSOR~
Apr 22, 2007
A buddy of mine recently purchased a 06 KTM 250SXF. The first day out, after every stall or stop it would take him nearly 15 minutes to start. He had a big bruise on his leg from where his foot kept slipping off the kickstarter. He looked up the web on information on kickstarting and he can usually get it going with two kicks now. I ride a KX125 that goes first time from cold with just one kick on most days. I couldn't believe the effort it took to kick the four stroke, Id be afraid I'd end up with one big leg and end up walking in circles for the rest of my life ;)

Top Bottom