RodC

Apr 11, 2001
I'm about to change seals, again, has anyone established a favorite measurment of oil to start with? I know the book says 830 cc per leg, but I usualy just fill it up and then set the level to 140.

Just trying to make this a little faster.

RodC
'00 300mxc

------------------

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
If I'm not mistaken you have to be careful with these forks in regard to oil. There is some info out there about it. I'll see if I can find if someone else doesn't do it first.

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

yarbonwick

Sponsoring Member
Mar 7, 2000
posted by tomthumb back in December:
-------------------------------------------
tomthumb

TN posted 11-30-2000 10:34 PM Staff Use Only:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a post that helped me with my 2000 300 EXC forks. Because I found some of the instructions needed changing, I modified it to my findings.
 Gather up a lot of shop rags!
 Remove bottom end cap. This may require compressing the fork to get enough resistance to stop the fitting from spinning.
 Drain oil.
 Remove top caps, drain remaining oil and let upper tube slide down a little.
 Using box wrench, hold piston rod while unscrewing cap. You will need to pull up on the cap and down on the spring to get the wrench on the hydraulic stop (piston rod)
 Remove pre-load spacers, spring and rebound rod in center of piston rod. Remove cartridge from fork. (note the assembly)
 Now you basically have the upper and lower tubes and nothing else. Remove clip holding seal.
 Once clip is removed, with inner tube up, gently pull tube so it lightly hammers the old seal out. Once out, the two tubes separate. Remove the keeper clip on top of inner tube.
 Remove sleeve, ring, seal, and wiper, Reverse the order with new seal.
 Insert the inner tube into the outer tube (wiper, new seal, ring, sleeve, clip) and hold inner tube about halfway down. Push the seal in as far as you can by hand. Most of the time, you can push it in enough just to get the inner clip.
 Once there, use a seal driver to push the seal in until it bottoms. You can purchase a seal driver or make them yourself, see related post.
 Replace the retaining clip. Make sure the clip seats fully into the groove in the outer tube.
 Insert cartridge and start nut on bottom of forks.
 Insert spring and top cap and hand tighten.
 Compress fork while tightening lower cap.
 Remove top cap and spring.
 Lower outer tube all the way to bottom.
 Pour in oil till 1" from top.
 Pull the piston all the way out and push all the way in. I repeat this around 10-15 times. Do it until you feel even damping throughout the stroke of the piston rod. This ensures you have bled it properly.
 Top off oil and set your oil height (150 mm).

Keep track of how much oil is placed in each fork (approximately 140 CC) . This will help you later when you are just replacing the oil. Also, clean you wipers after each ride. You might also want to check out Holeshot for some trick upside down fork booties.

Good Luck!

------------------
When in doubt, Twist IT!
Y2K KTM 300 EXC
99 KX100 (son)

------------------
Lloyd TMTC #540 - Y2K KTM 250 E/XC
Please sign my Guestbook at My Homepage
"You're fast 'cause the fast guys stayed home!!"

bgdawg

Sep 7, 2000
I am 250# with all my gear!