yota

Oct 9, 2001
just read test in new mxa. dyno'd at 49.9 hp on a 90 plus degree day! also, most of the power is in the midrange. Eric, how is ktm getting this much power, have the already tuned these things to the nth degree? Is this an engine shops nightmare? I guess there is no longer a techno discrepency between the ktm 125 and 250, as someone suggested a while back.

motogeeze

Aug 11, 1999
I know my '02 flat out rips, hard hittin pro level power abounds, I'm installin a 6 oz flywheel weight to tame it some for my riding style hopefully, the thing is definitely leaps and bounds beyond any previous offerings.
If this ones not fast enough for ya you need a factory ride:D

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
Doesn't matter--MXA will say the Yamaha is "leaps and bounds" faster. I can see it now---yaaahhhh, blaah, blaah--we liked the power somewhat , but just felt that it was too much, AND perhaps too useful for most of our testers. Sure, the build quality of the KTM was top notch, but we liked the "uneven gap" appearance & feaux "faulty" appearance of the YZ the best....blaah,blaah,effing blaah, blaah--it particularly suits the blue well...:scream:

As for my previous question about 125sx vs. 250sx---I guess that's answered. Look out Japan.:debil:

holeshot01

Apr 22, 2001
nephron,
I could not agree more! the two best bikes made are orange and red, and that mag hates both of them! I thought it was me,but i went back through the mags for the last 2 years and yamaha wins every test........Kinda strange huh? just my 2cents.

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
MXA was the bible when I was a kid. It gave me plenty of enjoyment long before there ever was a web. For that reason, I will always have a soft spot for it. However, if those fasion-victim MXA riders complain about 'not being able to fit a number on a KTM number plate one more time I will puke. Faulting a bike because it will will not take their f'ugly numbers that are clearly too big is kind of cheap. Especially when I look over at mine and it has three numbers that fit each plate quite well. Oh well...

The Bazzer should pull a coup and take back the MXA we all loved. :) Anyone know if he is still around?

smilinicon

Feb 20, 2001
Oops, forgot to post on the 250 KTM.

It is great to hear the reviews so far. My '02 250 SX engine is siting 5 feet away from me, waiting to be put in the frame. It will sure be a glorious moment when I get to ride it. That is same HP my 380 had :) I am looking forward to seeing the 250 that Langston rides this year as a 2003 prototype.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
50hp, not too much of a stretch, Wes Gilbert from Boyesen Precision Porting told me about a famous supercross rider whose name sounds like a popular fast food franchise, that once commisioned Eyvind Boyesen to build an engine for a bike he rode for only 1 year and they claim it made 57hp.
Really a good tuned 250 should make 48hp at the crank. Some of the confusion with dyno numbers from mag tests is related to this; they all use Dynojet dynos that rely on algorithms to extrapolate crankshaft horsepower numbers from the rear wheel. They don't use a load cell, but rather timed acceleration of rotating mass (steel drum).
If KTM really does have a much faster bike thats great, last years bike was such a disappointment.

nephron

Dr. Feel Good
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jun 15, 2001
a famous supercross rider whose name sounds like a popular fast food franchise, that once commisioned

McCarmichael with 57 hp...no wonder he kicked everyone's ass.:debil:

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Sorry wrong Mac. The only McMichael I know was a famous defensive football player for the 1985 Superbowl champs the Chicago Bears. One of the original "Black and Blues Brothers". His wife was also famous as the winner of Mrs. America in 1984.
Sorry, he didn't ride mx but if he did he would've wiped out most of the people in the high dollar seats of a stadium:scream:

TRC

Jul 3, 2001
'01 CR250 hpower

What kind of power have you seen out of an '01 CR250 w/ your porting? A buddy of mine just got a new CRF450 and I am hoping your port job will help me run a little closer with him. I currently have V-Force Reed cage and Boysen P/Valve cover, everything else stock.

Thanks

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
I'm not into dynos because I don't have $100,000 to build a proper engine testing facility. Instead I use TSR software for porting and sometimes Dynomation for engine modeling. Then I go with the "Butt-Dyno" because ultimately thats how my customers are going to evaluate whether something works for them. I have a great network of mechanics and riders that I support and gain feedback from. I think that listening to people and watching them ride is the most important thing, because the most inexperienced riders can tell you the most profound things. I've learned to shut up, open my mind, and not to rate peoples' comments by their riding style or experience.
This year I worked with 2 intermediate riders and their dads in District 16 (Wisconsin) that taught me quite a bit about the work I do. Watching the kids ride and the dads work on the bikes helped me pick up some tips on how to make the engines last longer, how to communicate with emotional parents, and how people percieve performance companies.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
The euros know how to build engines.A stock Husky 250 only puts out 42rear wheel hp std on a dynojet200.With a certain pipe it jumps to 48hp with no other mods.A GP husky puts out 52hp at the rear wheel which is more than most GP riders can handle.

TRC

Jul 3, 2001
Eric Gore question

I guess my question to you is if you port my '01 CR250 and I ride it a lap then jump on my buddy's CRF450 will I still feel I am down on power to that beast?

Thanks,

TRC

Greg in Oz

Aug 21, 2001
Dunno about dyno figures buit we thought the stocker was a bit fluffy off the bottom. Took .5 mm off the base of the barrell and machined the head to match with 1cc less combustion chamber volume than stock. Doma pipe and that's it. Usable power with real bark.

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
TRC, you can't compare a 2&4 stroke, the powerband will never seem the same. I think the 450 is way easier to ride than the 01CR250. The 01250 was an anomaly, I can't believe that bike was built by Honda. I hope they at least fired the design team and exiled the guy who figured out the jetting. And the test riders who signed off on that bike? They must've been employed by another manufacturer.
My powerband of choice for the 01CR250 is the 1996 CR250. That was the best dam powerband ever from a Japanese 250. When I first rode that bike I bought a newspaper, opened the want ads, and started looking for a new job because I thought my days as an engine tuner were numbered, seeing as all the other manufacturers copy Honda cylinder designs. Luckily Suzuki owners kept me busy that year :scream:

Boozer, you probably already know that German and Austrian companies have beer vending machines in the lunchrooms of businesses and allow employees to have a beer brake at 10am and 3pm. Good thing those guys are so disciplined. I don't see that idea working very well up here in Wisconsin!

Last edited:

TRC

Jul 3, 2001
Eric,

So can you help me out? I want to give it more bottom and maybe smooth the transition of the 'hit' of the powerband and not lose any top end.

What is exactly you don't like about the '01 CR250 motor? Is it the no bottom and all top?

Thanks,

Vic

***** freak.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
May 5, 2000

EricGorr

Super Power AssClown
Aug 24, 2000
Thanks Vic, you're way better at this computer stuff than me. I know I should keep a cheat-sheet on past links that would be usefull. ;)

Top Bottom