kdxme

Apr 7, 2002
I am going to ride the Oregon coast and want to know if i should run a rear tire with 6 or 8 paddles. I have a 2001 kdx200 that is stock except for a pro circuit pipe and silencer.

kdxsam

Sep 20, 2002
You should probably go with 6 paddles unless your motor is really tweaked out. 8 might work but the bike probably just will not spin it to get decent power. By the way, who makes a paddle tire for the KDX? I might get one!

beefking

~SPONSOR~
Nov 12, 2002
Go with the 6 paddle- I found one on ebay real cheap, only $20 new. But, that was a one-time thing...you can get them anywhere online, like http://www.rockymountainmc.com or denniskirk.com, etc. It worked real good in the sand and loose stuff, and the stock motor has enough power to pull it. Now that I have some work done in the motor I may get an 8 paddle.

toalco-kdx

May 16, 2002
if you bottomed your rear suspension with a paddle tire on would the paddle hit the bottom of the back fender? i thought the true mx bikes were made so a normal tire would rub on the fender.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
Hey, guys - I want to order a paddle tire for my 04 KDX220.
I want to run the silver lake dunes near detroit.

My bike has FMF ganrly rev, TC2, and will have DF3 by spring.
I weight 225lbs.
So, what is the best brand, size, model, and number of paddles for me?

I was thinking a less aggresive paddle would be good to keep it from bogging?

Suggestions?

I just want to have fun maytbe one weekend per year in the sand dunes...

Thanks,
Phil

adam728

Aug 16, 2004
1tontj

Just so you know, Silver Lake is about 220 miles north west of Detroit. Not sure what you define as "near", but I wouldn't call that very close by.

1tontj

Mar 19, 2004
adam728 said:
1tontj

Just so you know, Silver Lake is about 220 miles north west of Detroit. Not sure what you define as "near", but I wouldn't call that very close by.

Thanks for the info. I have actually never been there, and have never really looked up where it is.

It is just the closest real dunes to me in Ontario Canada.

So, anyone know what paddle tire I should get?

Thanks,
Phil

TEEEE

Jul 18, 2004
I have an 8 paddle on my stock KDX200 right now. It could use more power for sure, but it works for my novice skills. I didn't see an 18" 6 paddle when shopping, but I admittedly didn't look that hard.

OldDirtKDX

~SPONSOR~
Dec 14, 2004
I've tried an 8 and a 6 paddle on my "01 200 (now 225 with Delta 3 reed, FMF Rev Pipe, and all round porting. The only problem I had at Glamis (other than the drunken idiots) was at high speed the paddle grow due to cetrifigal force and ripped up the hard rubber mud guard and slightly touch the swingarm. I had know idea what the noise was until I put it on a stand and let'er rip and saw what was happening. The problem was eliminated by adding a one more link longer chain. Now I understand why all my riding buddies asked if I had more links!

cweingartz

Jun 6, 2000
I like using 8 paddles. With 6, the traction seems choppy. Slip, grab, slip, grab.. The paddle will hit the fender when bottoming out, and I would also reccomend adding a couple of links to the chain to move the wheel back or it will rub on the airbox flap. Dunes are a blast but be sure to clean and regrease all of your bearings when you are done.

Top Bottom