Gudog

Mar 23, 2002
I've gotten some good advice but I need more. I have a 7 and 9 year old that are good on a BMX bike and want a motor to rip on.

They need to learn how to ride but I guarantee that they will learn fast. We have 5 acres of land to trail ride on and a track motocross track that they can use to practice. THEY WILL NOT RACE THIS SUMMER. However, they will be taking this bike to the practice track and I see sveral problems. 1) They will not be ready and embarras themselves. 2) They will be good but their bike will be inferior and they will be embarrasssed. 3) They will be good but ruin the the bike because it is not meant for moto cross.

The question, what bike do I buy. I can afford a new yamaha tt90 or honda mx80 bike but a true motorcross bike is way too expensive. However, I can find a hardly used kawasaki KX65 for about $1,500. The bike seems small compared to a tt90 but it does seem to be a real motocrioss bike with shifting, suspension and ripping ability.

What do I do? These kids will catch on quick but it makes littel difference as theyw ont race this year anyway. They will be on that practice track with their friend son a daily basis however.

Any thoughts on how to start them and what bike to buy. If it motocross it will have to be the used KX65 I guess. (Hate to spend money like that on a use "minibike". If it is a trailbike it will be the suzuki, yamaha tt90, Honda MX80 or something else that you suggest.

Hey, I know nothing about motorcycles or moto cross...I need people like yourself to show me the light.

Thanks, Jim, Blaine and Tanner Gould
Jimgould@charter.net

BunduBasher

Boodoo-Bash-eRRR
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 9, 2000
Hate to tell you this !

You need 2 bikes :eek:

The 7 year old will probably be better off with an XR70, and the 9 year old my be OK on the KX65, but an XR80 may be the way to go for a first timer. Shop around, you should be able to pick up 2 bikes for around $2k.

An affordable race bike for the 7 year old, may be a LEM LX2/LX3, which is an automatic 50.

Good luck :)

Gudog

Mar 23, 2002
I like the two bike idea but two bikes for $2,000! Not in Central Wisconsin. If I could find those tow bikes for $2,000 I would take your advice to the bank and those boys would be on top of the world.

The comments on the KX65 have really suprised me. It really appears to be the best sized bike for both boys as it is between any of the 50's and the tt90/mx80 type size. That used KX65 for $1,500 sure seems tempting but from your comments (and others) it sounds likes it is a small looking bike that is a time bomb ready to explode! This thing must have a rocket for an engine and ride like a bronking bull!

Thanks again for the advice...IT IS APPRECIATED

Jim "Gudog" Gould

sharp7277

Mar 12, 2002
The KX 65 is a bike that hits pretty hard for a little bike. It is much faster than a XR 80. I would recommend the XR 70 and 80 because they are reliable and still can pack a little punch. We were riding today with my friends kids and one has an XR 80 and the other has a 70 and we never had to wait up for them because they could always keep up. Keep in mind too that the KX 60 is a racer and a 2 stroke that needs alot more maintance. Nothing gives me more of a headache than working on little bikes!

Big CR man

May 17, 2001
First timer

I would go with the TTR-90 ,My son has one he is 10 now . got it when he was 9, I bought him a JR 50 and found it wasnt enough but it did give hime the basics. With the TTR-90 You get the best of everything . Its a four stroke, Just turn on the gas and go .You never have to fix these bikes . I have yet to do anything but clean the filter change the oil and put gas in it . The suspension is awsome . I am over 250# and it carries me effortlessly. Its a three speed automtic, which is great for a learner bike . But dont worry about this bike it packs a pretty good punch so he will have a blast on your five acres. I own a 2001 YZ426 and his bike is an 01 also . Its pretty cool , His bike looks like a ( mini-me version of mine ) - same graphics . This of course is just One fathers opinion but I wont sell this one. I have a 19 month old that will tear this bike up someday . I really love these bikes . When I was looking for a bike, This one just jumped out becouse it looks so much like a mini motocross bike, I was thinking Honda But the looks of the bikes just seemed to much of just a mini-bike . I do like the fact that Honda made a key for the XR50 . Now I'm just rambling . I hope my two cents helped out in some way . Take care

dell30rb1

Uhhh...
Jan 14, 2002
We mx an xr80. It takes a lickin, but keeps on kickin.

I would buy an older xr70 (i think they began making them in 2000), and an old (any xr80 is a good one, My friend matt has a 1980 and its very reliable, my other friend has a 1994, its in good shape). you can find a 1994 xr80 for about 700 dollars, and i'd guess a 2000 xr70 would go for close to 1000.

YOU NEED TWO BIKES!!

Otherwise your kids will fight over who gets to ride when, not a pretty sight.

JeremyML

Mar 13, 2002
I've got an '00 YZ426F that'd do nicely I think. :p Hahaha just kidding.

I can't really comment on what bikes you should get, but I'll vouch for those saying get 2. My uncle has 3 sons. He bought 1 ATV for christmas. By the first week of January he had 2. He bought the 3rd the next week. And a fourth the week after. :eek: Don't expect them to play nice, just break down and buy them both one. At least then the fight will be over who's riding which one and which one is faster, not over who has to sit and spectate. ;)

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Consider a kx60 if you plan on racing in the future. there should be many avaliable since the kx65 came out in 2000, and everybody wanted the newer model. You could get 2 of those for about 2k. They are a 2 smoke, but very reliable IMO. It should be around the right size, its not as powerful as the 65, but it was the most comon mini-racer for many years. They could learn and practice for this year, race it next year, then upgrade if neccesary.
If you do race next year, you will most likely be getting a 2 stoke for the motor and the suspention. most 4 stokes dont have enough travel in the suspention for jumping. BTW, I just so happen to have 1 for sale;)
Good luck in your search, Walt

highflyin86

Mar 23, 2002
Yea these r all good suggestions, i'd go wit the xr 70 or that kx 65 because they r really cool bikes and the kids wont grow out of them. My first bike was a kx 60 and it was awsome

Hope yall have fun

OLD-N-SLOW

Nov 21, 2000
There cant be a bike that takes less maintanance than the kx60.
Got my kid one when he was 7 for his first bike and took to it right away.
He's not some super kid, just average or below. Kids just learn fast!
We trail ride and mx and the bike does it all with less fuss than my kdx.
Also you could maybe get 2 for around 2000.00 as stated by walt.
Might have to shop around to find 2 GOOD cheap ones.
Now they do have a very hard hit but my son has learned to avoid it except
when he's racing me. Little brat.
Good bike, cheap, reliable, fast, userfriendly.
Steve

Gudog

Mar 23, 2002
Well, I cant thank you guys enough for all the great input. No matter what happens....this decision is going to be a tough one. If I could find 2 KX60's or 65's for $2,000 it would be done. However, it also appears that the CR80 would be a wise choice. Even the ttr90 seems good with people saying they MX it just fine.

Finding the good used bike is going to be the tough part. I am a sucker waiting for the hook as other than the paintjob...I will have no clue if the thing is a gem or a piece of junk.

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help. You have done everything but buy it for me!

Jim

JeremyML

Mar 13, 2002
If it's in good shape it should be able to haul you around no problem (except the suspension bottoming out if it's adjusted for a kids weight).

My uncle has a really old Holda 80 that he used to take out and do tricks on. Considering he's 6' 4" and 245 lbs that's quite an accomplishment for that little bike. :)

PS: He still has it too, just one too many crashes from being stupid (to give you an idea, the last time he crashed it was about 10 years ago jumping 80 feet across a logging road, he made the jump, bike didn't like the abuse hehe). If nothing else, it's a heck of a reliable bike. Even given no respect it's still running (I think he's rebuilt the motor once himself). This is the same bike I learned to ride on about 16 years ago. :)

Top Bottom