markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Any of you have any experiences with the elusive Sachs (also called Hercules for reasons I've never understood) motocrosser from 1977 to 1978? These had an all-new motor, Hoss Racing plastic tank, tall seats, good shocks and were very much state-of-duh-art for that year. Frank Stacey rode one in the Trans-USA series with some success. I've got a story coming up on one (issue #11 of VMX) and I'm curious if any of you have any information to add. Thanks!

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Sep 22, 2000
Man has it been a while since I even heard the Sachs name.I sold them out of my shop in 1978 and 79.Irode a 250gs ( ENDURO MODEL).We sold 15 or 20 of them.The new engine was a 7 speed***a complete rocket.I really liked mine.Idon't remember them even bringing any of the mxer over--other than the one frank rode.

VintageDirt

Baked Spud
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 1, 2001
I noticed that Letko Competition Cycles mentions Sach-Hercules on the web site.

Go to http://www.letko.com and click on "About Us"

It ain't much but maybe they have all the answers
smile.gif

------------------
'00 Honda XR400
'73 Maico MC400 (most of it anyway)
'73 CZ 380
'70 Bultaco Sherpa T
Vintage Dirt Home Page

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
Oldtimer: Anything else you can tell me that you remember about these bikes? There were very few of the mx models that made it over here, and I actually test rode one for a story back then. I considered it then quite a revoluntionary bike, and if they'd chosen to be serious about the marketing, who knows, they might be where KTM is these days. Do you remember any problems or great things about them? What needed fixing or tending to before being raced or enduroed? Hell, how did you explain to people what they were, since they had nearly zero brand recognition as Hercules? Anything you can tell me would help with the story. It'll be in issue #11 of VMX. Thanks!

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

Sep 22, 2000
Markthomps, The bike was all high quailty stuff.magura controls,marzoks front and rear.
Metzlers front and rear and a chromemoly frame.Alot of the same goodies that KTM was using at the time.The bike required virtully no maintenance.The name SACHS/DKW had been around since the late 60s**early 70s.They had there BOONDOCKER series in the 100 and 125cc.They had the leading link front end,plus at the time they were making all the 100 and 125cc motors for KTM/PENTON,

Sep 22, 2000
Markthomps,I wanted to ad somemore.Most off roaders were pretty familar with the name so selling them wasn't so tuff.I do remember that you never knew what gear you were in but it didn't matter beings you had seven to choose from--the bike was a ball to ride and i had little or no trouble with it.They didn't change the bike at all for three years so by 1980 they were a tuff sell.then the company just fadded away.If you want anymore info contact Drew Smith at WORKS ENDURO RIDER 908-637-6385. Drew was service mgr. for them.Ihope this will help you out.
and remember--HODAKA RULES!!!!!!!!!

Khig177

Apr 19, 2020
My dad took 2 Hercules enduros- 250 7 speed and 2 Sachs 250 5 speed Mx motors - he rebuilt the frames - added some ktm parts and we raced the for several years - just got mine running today - it hasn’t been started since 1983

Top Bottom