Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
It's time for a new bike for my7 yr old son...and I'm confused.
I'll start with the questions from the sticky.

1) your physical size (both height and weight are important)
4'3", about 45lbs (guessing here)
2) How physical / aggressive are you ?
I'll put him in the middle of the scale. Benn riding his bicycle since 3, pulling wheelies by 4. He skateboards and can ride a ramp a little.

3) what do you plan to ride- MX/SX tracks, woods, fields with friends or ?????
Mostly woods.

4) Do you have any riding experience?
Had a PW50 since 4. didn't ride last year due to a broken arm (jumping off patio furniture...I knew that stuff was dangerous ;)
5) Do you think you will race ?
No
6) Are you mechanically inclined and will you be doing your own bike work?
Dad will.
7) Do YOU have a preference to a brand/ motor choice (2 or 4 stroke)?
4 stroke, leaning towards CRF70 or KLX-110
8) Do you have a dealer close by your home that you might use and what brand(s) does he carry?
plenty in all colors.
9) How much ($) do you plan to spend on a bike?
~$1000
10) Do you live in California?
no
11) Your age?
12) anything else that you think would help form an opinion

So, I've read other posts on this and in the end can't figure out what to base a decision on.

We got the PW50 out this spring and it is way too small for him.

Last week he took the MSF DirtBike School in which he rode a CRF50. It fit him well, but when standing up looked like it was a bit small. I think he would out grow it too soon. The instructors thought the CRF70 would be a better choice than the 50. He can hold one up, but with tip toes (both feet just reach).

Then I started reading up on KLX-110s, which have the same seat height but are a bit heavier.

Some other thoughts:
Does the larger motor matter? Seems like plenty of options to make either bike plenty fast so he won't outgrow the power anytime soon.

What about the 4th gear mod for the KLX? Again, sounds like something that will get more years out of the bike.

Can I lower the KLX? I know I can put a CRF50 shock on the CRF70 and if I get a different Triple Clamp can slide the forks up a bit. I can probably cut seat foam on either to get his feet more on the ground for trail riding confidence.

Honda has a great rep and are dependable (KLX probably is as well). I'm not overly concerned about resale value as I have a younger child as well. With the KLX, my wife could probably ride it.

My buddies got an 03 CRF-like XR-70 with few hours on it and is like new. He bought it for his daughter and she has only ridden it in some fields. He wants a whoppen $1400 for it, but that includes 2 tires and an Ohlin shock. Maybe $1200 without the shock. I can probably get a new KLX for that. I see used 2003 CRFs for about $900, but they show more wear than his.

My main concerns are that the big not be too much for him (he can handle everything the PW50 has) and that I not have to go through this again for a few years.

Thanks.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
greenteam403 said:
too tall.
too fast.
probably too expensive.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
At age 7 with previous riding experience, a KX65 or KTM 65 is not a bad option. Those 4 stroke trail bikes are nice and fun but they will get boring for a little adrenalin addict. The suspensions on them are lousy too.

Do a search here for "KX65" and read some of the threads. Most parents who waffle on the race bikes find out that their kids take to them very easily. You should be able to find a nice 65 for $1000 to $1500. Maybe less if you search and are patient.

I just bought my 6 yr old a KX65 last night. Found it on Craigslist. They can easily be lowered and slowed down. It will be a handful for him for a while. But by the end of summer, I'm sure he'll be doing better than I would think.

gwcrim

~SPONSOR~
Oct 3, 2002
Figured I'd report back.

My boy did great on his first ride tonight around the yard. He can get going fine w/the clutch and he can even kick start it. It's too tall so I'll lower it but otherwise he did great. Only dumped it once.

Zoom is right. A KX60 can be had for under $1000 easily around here and it's a lot more bike than a trail bike. Just not quite competitive in racing.

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
PW80 or TTR90 would be the obvious choices. Of course mine went from a PW50 to a KX65, but it was a choice based on age and racing (MX). He was never overwhelmed, but it took a year for him to really ride the 65.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
Looks like I can get a new KLX-110 for $1280. I think I'll go that route.
I checked out the KX-65/60. It was pretty tall, and I haven't been able to find any clean ones in my area. I'm not interested in anything more than a few years old.
I'll have to cut down the seat a bit on the KLX, but I think it will server him well for quite a while.

Dec 31, 2008
i would say the crf70 would be a good choice. IMO its better for the child to be underbiked than overbiked. If he is underbiked, he can keep control of the bike, gain confidence, skill etc. not that the crf70 would be underbiked for him. My sister had a crf70 and a klx110. i would ride them, both of them got moving prettty darn fast and are great trail bikes. If it were my child i would put him the 70. the next step up from there would probably be the 65 or 110.

Magellan

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 14, 2001
My buddy ended up offering my his 04 CRF70 for $1000 along with 3 new tires and a six-pack of tubes. His daughter put about 12 hours riding the bike in a field and on some forest roads, but has outgrown it.

Watching my son ride it, I think it was the better choice. I fits him well, better than the KLX and is a bit lighter. He has just gotten to the point where he can start it.

He's been riding in the yard through some flags we set out and tomorrow I'm taking him up to the trails.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom