mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Hey guys,

I`m a happy owner of a pristine 465 and I need some info on performance mods.
First does anyone know of a suspension shop that works on these old yamahas. The rear shock takes an unusualy long spring and I cant find one anywhere. I need one stiffer than stock as I am 6'4" and 265# and ride in the A class.Also this spring is progressive.
Engine, the power is plenty strong but comes on like a light switch, the bottom is very raspy and then the mid just blastes off. Any Ideas on how to tame this beast, im used to riding a YZ-400 so I like smooth power. Would Boyson reeds help? How about a DG pipe?
Does any one know where I can get a copy of the old Yamaha competition wrench report for this bike? I seem to remember them having porting specs and other info in there.
I had one of these brand new in 81, in fact it was my first new bike, and working on this one shure has brought bake the memories.
Thanks guys
mxbundy

markthomps

Sponsoring Member
May 27, 2000
MXbundy: I don't have the link info in front of me, but pay a visit to the VMX magazine web site at www.vmx-mag.com. There's a YZ web site listed in the Links portion, which should help.

You might also try AMS Racing (Dave Boydstun) in Arizona, as Dave is the best vintage source out there. If he can't handle your suspension, he'll probably know someone who can.

------------------
'81 490 Maico (King Kong!), 2000 CR250, 74-1/2 GP400 Maico, buncha street stuff

weimedog

~SPONSOR~
Damn Yankees
Nov 21, 2000
I talked to Steve Sage today..( The guy I send the phone no. for). He will take on those old YZ's. I got my Ohlins, and they are done right for me. I weigh 215 so he had to revalve them...

------------------
2001 VOR503 V-Cross
1982 husqvarna XC430
1974 Bultaco Frontera 360
6 Kids, Four Ride, 3 race. (cr125, yz80, 2 KX125's)
Case 780, INT 1066, Ford LTL9000...and a Percheron

mxbundy

Sponsoring Member
Feb 16, 2001
Hemet, CA.
Thanks weimedog,
Got your email and I`ll give sage a call.
Gonna take this baby down to bike week with me and race a vintage Hare Scramble. Should be a lot of fun.

Top Bottom