RIDERofGRACE

Sep 5, 2000
I dont know if this is a vintage bike, but i know it is hard as heck to find parts for it. What do you guys think of this bike. Its air cooled and has a rear disk brake. I have riden it in the desert and on some trail rides. Big heavy bike but lots o' power.

------------------
Thanks,
Kevin

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
lost in the deserts of NM
Hard to find parts for??
What parts were you looking for??
Your friendly local Honda dealer should be able to get plenty of stuff for that bike.
Honda seems to keep older bike parts active in their systems longer than the "other guys".
(maybe 'cuz their bikes seem to last longer??)
You might want to try more than one dealer though. Some dealers would rather sell you a new bike rather than parts for your old one.
(if you know what i mean??)

Also, are you sure your bike is an '82, and not an '83??
XR's, and their XL brothers, did'nt use disc brakes until 1983.
(ie: 1983 XL600R & 1983 XR500R)
Best way to tell:
'83 XR500R had 2 carbs (not 1)

had the "R.F.V.C." engine -w- r.f.v.c. logo on right side(?) of the head.

color was "flash red" (orange) not the older "tahitian red" (deep red).

had "500R-pro link" on swingarm (not just "pro link)

front number plate above (not below) headlight.

number plate backgrounds were yellow (not white)

Of course someone could have adapted a disc to your bike, or it could be some kind of late production model -w- the '83 disc brake (should be front not rear by the way) fitted to it.

Oh, as for the original question.
IMO i think they're great!!
(love that old fashioned "tractor like" Honda tourque!!)
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

------------------

RIDERofGRACE

Sep 5, 2000
I have asked only one dealer and they said they didnt carry anything older than 90'!! Maybe I should check with some other dealer. But all i know is the bikes vin plate it says its an 82' XR500R. And it does have only one carb and on the swing arm it just says pro link. Ithink someone must have modified it. But that tractor torque!! I know what your talking about, any hill or mud i can make it up or through.

Are there any places on the net you can buy parts, like plastics for. My bike is the ugliest thing you have ever seen.

------------------
Thanks,
Kevin

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Maier racing has some plastics available for your bike.
But i don't know if they have a web site?
(i get mine through the Honda dealer.)
Your dealer may not stock parts for the older bikes, but he can certainly order them!
Heck, i just got a new set of footpegs, air filter, and a tank bushing from the Honda shop here in Farmington!
Most parts are available, you just gotta find a dealer who is willing to get the old "partsfisch's" out of the box and will look for them!
smile.gif

Your bike is worth fixing up, good luck!

------------------

RIDERofGRACE

Sep 5, 2000
I think that is a little expensive for front and rear fenders but ig uess if i want the colors to mach thats what i get. And yes i will have to find a new Honda Dealer.
tongue.gif

KW how much did you sell that bike for if you dont mind me asking?

------------------
Thanks,
Kevin

KWJams

~SPONSOR~
Sep 22, 2000
I sold it for $950.00, had fresh tires-grips, chains and sprockets, pretty good shape.
I used to have a 1-800 # for a Honda dealer in the Bay Area of N.Cal that could find parts for old Hondas any day of the week.

Can't find the name or number. Sorry
frown.gif

------------------

Ken & Diane James
AMA Field Reps #869
*AMA-Cycle.Org*
*PRO-Hillclimbers*

OnAnySunday

Big Pig
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 20, 2000
Originally posted by RIDERofGRACE:
"I think that is a little expensive for front and rear fenders but ig uess if i want the colors to mach thats what i get."

Actually, that's not too bad.
Considering o.e.m. is probably more than that!
I priced a replacement rear fender for my '82 XL and they told me $50 for the outer (plastic) and $75 for the inner (steel) reinforcement panel.
(to support the weight of the d.o.t. taillight and lisc. plate)
I bought a XR replacement from "Maier" and modified it (and my taillight) to fit the XL.
Worked great and saved me over $85 !!
biggrin.gif

------------------

Papakeith

COTT Champ Emeritus
Damn Yankees
Aug 31, 2000
RI
I spent the better part of last summer reviving a 1980XL500S. My Honda dealer had no problems getting me any of the OEM parts I needed. He doesn't re-stock any parts for the bike, but I was suprised by how many he did have laying around with a good layer of dust on them. The plasic prices aren't that bad. I was quoted 56$ for a OEM number plate for my 84cr.
I would call up the local bike bone yard, or better yet take a trip to one and look around you might find some of the parts you need. I got a front fender for 5$ hardly scratched at all!
It's a great bike!

------------------
It's easy to be wise. Just think up something stupid to say, and don't say it!
My photos

Top Bottom