82 yz250 shuts off, when gives throttle

V13TxFo0

Jan 29, 2007
my 82 hasnt been on for awhile.. and i just got it started a couple days ago. so when i turn it on and wait about 1 min and hit the throttle it turns off.. do you know what can be causing this?

rmc_olderthandirt

~SPONSOR~
Apr 18, 2006
carburetor, for sure.
I am guessing that the bike was stored with gas left in the carburetor, or even worse with the gas valve left on. Over time portions of the gas evaporates out of the carburetor bowl, leaving behind some gunk that doesn't evaporate. Just one float bowl generally doesn't cause a problem, but over many times or if you allow an entire tank of gas to evaporate out the carburetor then the gunk can really clog things up.

Many people do not understand that cleaning the carburetor is a little more involved than removing the float bowl and wiping out the visible stuff. Your clog is going to be in one of the tiny passages that you can't see directly. The only way to get it clean is to completely remove all the jets (be careful, they can break easily) soak the carburetor in solvent and use compressed air to blow out the passages.

You should seriously consider buying new gaskets and perhaps a new float needle and seat.

Rod McInnis

V13TxFo0

Jan 29, 2007
just to make sure when i mix my gas.. if i have 2 cycle oil 16 fl oz of oil.. i just dump it all in with 2 gallons of gas?

Top Bottom