JG614

Nov 18, 2004
Cool Timr,

I was there that year too it was like a mosoon. It downpoured just after the start. Didn't they change the course part way through the race because of all the water holes and hand the lead over to Fred Andrews, so the split the win with Terry and Fred. I think they both got the live turkeys. that race was brutal.We used to go to that race every year. I remember one year they had a bottleneck at the bottom of this one ravine and nobody was moving just like 100 bikes sitting in this ravine running the smoke was so bad guys were leaving their bikes and climbing the sides of the ravine just to get above the smoke so they could breath!! oh man talk about fun!! they don't have races like that around here anymore,If it ain't 20 foot wide and warp speed fast nobody will show up.Oh well give me a snotty ,rocky root infested uphill with trees about 30 inches apart and I'll be hav'n a ball YAHOO!!!!

Later
Jeffro

duke

Oct 9, 1999
A few years ago I ran into Husky WR125 (decendent of the Cagiva) rider. I had only seen one in the magazines. What a neat little bike. He was ripping along with no problem being posed by the sandwashes and steep hills. Like Jefro, I prefer my off road terrian to be more technical and not dependent of high speed. This has always ben the case, not something that surfaced when I hit age forty.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Jeffro,

Yes, that was the ravine that I was stuck in. There was easily 100 bikes parked in there. The rock walls on each side were pratcially straight up. At one end of the ravine, each person was waiting for their chance to do a short climb that was littered with rocks. Basically, it was a muddy stair case looking obstacle.

Well, while we were still on the first lap, we could hear the AAs coming. Terry scaled up the rock face, went across one ridge, back down to the edge of the ravine around a tree a two downed bikes and never let off the gas. It was one of most amazing things I've ever seen. Of course, I was only 16 years old and this was only my second race.

Yeah the memories are great. I go to Youngstown on Biz all the time now, and I have been tempted to drive down to East Palastine to look around. I'm guessing that the don't run that race anymore on the Sunday before thanksgiving?

Getting out of the parking lot was the second adventure of that day. We had to help everyone who was stuck just so we could get out.

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Look what I found.

Attachments

• DR87Cover.jpg
    DR87Cover.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 366

Timr

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 26, 1999
Sorry about the low quality, but size limits prohibit greater clarity.

Attachments

• Cagpg3.jpg
    Cagpg3.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 425
  • Cagpg4.jpg
    Cagpg4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 403

SFO

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Feb 16, 2001
What a difference 5 years makes.
The bike I rode looked nothing like that!
God bless Paisano dirtbikes :worship:

JG614

Nov 18, 2004
SSSHHHHWWIIINNNGG!!!! :yikes:

Man are those bikes SEXY. I have that issue also, if you look close the seat bolt is missing on that cover shot.

Jeffro :aj:

BonChance13

May 7, 2002
the rider in those photos is Mike Healey...this is a cool thread.I loved Cagivas,but could never get one when they were out.I finally got my "Cagiva" in '98 when I got my rare in '98 Hooska CR 125.Although there were lots of WR's,they didn't import too many CR's.Anyway,it was cool for me because my Husky had Cagiva stamped all over the place and I definately viewed it as a what would've been a '98 Cagiva 125.Cheers.

TexKDX

~SPONSOR~
Aug 8, 1999
I have 2 200 motors, 4 pipes, triple clamps, and a rear wheel for the 200 wmx in my garage right now. They will be picked up by Rik Smits tomorrow on his way to Utah for a vintage national, and my bud Brian he's getting them for WILL win the Six Days reunion ride this coming fall on one!! Last year I took him a 200 chassis, so he has all he needs now. He took 2nd this year on an IT125, losing time to a KDX in the special tests just enough to get 2nd. The WMX will flat smoke a KDX.

Later all, Leo Ahearn in Colorado Springs CO.

arjay

~SPONSOR~
Nov 19, 2002
Hi guys - joining the thread late, but I've rekindled an interest in the 190. I remember them when I was a kid but never got the chance to ride one (I remember a local MX rider kicking butt in enduros on one back in '83.) I'm considering one for a resto project. It was mentioned earlier that the old 125 is related to the Mito of today. Does that mean that the 190 shares any engine parts with the Mito? Bearings, transmission, clutch. Is anything interchangable with recent Husky/Cagiva?

Now I wonder if that 190 motor would fit into a Husky 125 chassis ;)

Captainuno

Apr 28, 2004
Wow,
I haven't been on the board for a long time and was quite supised to see this thread still on first page and going strong.This sure brings back a lot of memories. I still ride out in the desert quite often and have had the pleasure of riding with Ron Turner many times. He camps with our group once a month. He is now riding a Yamaha YZ250F and still fast as can be. He now has a MX school where he teaches young riders. We have talked extensivly about the Cagivas, about his win in Hawaii, he told me his mechanic had his bike strung out in pieces in the motel room the night before the race when he went to bed. Thinking it was all over only to wake up with the bike completely ready to go the next morning. Whew!!!!.
I have had the pleasure of racing against both Duanne Summers & Charles Halcumb in the 1983 King of the Desert Race in AMA D38. Both rode for UPTITE HUSQVARNA out of Santa Ana Calif. I remember them driving up in the cool van, wow was that intimidating. I followed Duane out on the bomb run, now I know why he was one of the best 125 riders around, all I could see was his dust and then I couldn't even see that. I did beat them both but it wasn't because of my riding ability, I saw both on the side of the course broken. Sometimes keeping the engine in stock form for desert racing has its perks....lol. We also had a fast rider in D38 desert racing by the name of Eddy Foland who also rode a Cagiva.
I am still involved in desert racing down here in So Cal, President of Roadrunners Off Road Racing Club, promoting, not racing, check out my homepage attached to this forum for the link.
Keep the Cagiva stories coming,
Kirk

Last edited:

Top Bottom