EdLennon

~SPONSOR~
May 10, 2000
Can someone please explain the purpose of an 85cc big wheel bike like the Honda CR85 Expert or Suzuki RM85L if it is not allowed by AMA rules in the 85cc class?

I understand the larger displaced bikes like the kx100 or ktm105 being excluded, but why can't a big wheel 85cc bike race in the 85cc class?

The wheelbase is within limits, the rear wheel is withing limits, the only exclusion is the front wheel. This rule makes no sense to me.

Thank you for any insight as I am trying to determine which bike I can purchase for my daughter.

Thanks, Ed

FruDaddy

Aug 21, 2005
It can be clarified no farther that 'AMA'. Beyond that, little makes sense. I think that the big wheels roll over bumps more easily.

Jasle

Sponsoring Member
Nov 27, 2001
The big wheel bike is legal for Supermini Class which also allows your 85 to be bored up to 112cc. it makes the 85 the next step up before the 125.

The bigger wheel tracks better in corners, stops better and rolls over bumps better. Also wheelbase is different as the swingarm is 1.5" longer to accept the bigger wheel.

Unfortunatley most shops tell buyers they are legal in racing the 85 class just to sell them. Then when they show up at a track they don't understand whats up. I've mentioned that to a few buyers at shops much to the chagrin of the sales guy.

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom