Pepperman

Jun 7, 2003
I've recently aquired a 87' YZ 250 that is in great shape.It had been totally rebuilt from the ground up right before I got it.The only part left to rebuild was the carb,original.I got it all put together and it runs great when I can get it to start.It has fire to the plug,though not as hot as my son's RM80,and it seems like it is getting fuel.When I go to start it for the first time of the day,I have to kick it about 15-20 times before it attempts to start.Then another 5 or so to finally get it going.It's not flooding 'cause it's not smokin' much.After I run it awhile,20-30 minutes of great running,and shut it off,I'll have to kick it another 15-20 times and even then it may not start.Can someone give me some direction on what to look for and help me solve this problem?I would greatly appreciate it.Thanx and GOD Bless,PEPPERMAN

Pepperman

Jun 7, 2003
Yeah,I've changed it out several times and nothing's changed.I know it has to be something simple,but I don't know what.Thanx for the reply.GOD Bless,PEPPERMAN

IrishEKU

A General PITA.
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Apr 21, 2002
Originally posted by Senior KX Rider
Did you check the reeds and make sure they are sealing against the reed cage
Ding...Ding...Ding, I think we have a winner. Reeds not seating will allow fuel mix from the carb to soak the plug and cause your starting problems even hot.

Pepperman

Jun 7, 2003
Men,I think I found the culprit.I was thumbing through my book,Motorcross @ Offroad Performance Handbook by Eric Gorr,and on page 218 it tells of electrical problems with my bike.The mounting tabs for the top coil under the tank don't make good contact due to paint.It say's to remove the coil and file the paint off the tabs and remount the coil.Did this and VROOOOM,it started up on the 5th kick,even after sitting since yesterday.I rode it for about an hour,shut it off,and tried to start it after 5 minutes and it fired up on the 3rd kick. I'm sure glad it's starting better 'cause it sure is fun to ride.Thanx for the help guy's and if there's anything I need to know about my bike,good or bad,please let me know?GOD Bless and be safe,PEPPERMAN

Top Bottom