BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
September 22nd is the Fall Equinox and I would like to remind everyone to spend a few minutes and a few bucks towards your family's safety. Please take the time to replace the battery in ALL of your smoke detectors and Carbon Monoxide (CO) detectors. NO one expects to have a fire or CO poisoning happen, it just happens.
Fact: CO poisoning is 100% preventable. CO detectors rarely fail or false. If they go into alarm condition, evacuate immediately, ventilate the area and contact a professional heat and air company. CO is oderless and tasteless and will kill you/your family silently. So if you heat/cook with wood, gas, or heating oil you NEED a CO detector.
Smoke detectors are required in all domestic dwellings regardless of ownership. Smoke detectors get a bad rap for false alarms so here is what I recommend to all of my customers and friends. If your smoke detectors are 10 years old or older, replace them. If the smoke detectors have been painted, for goodness sake REPLACE them. If you are having false alarm issues, replace them. If you here them chirp, change the battery, DO NOT REMOVE THE BATTERY and say you'll replace it later!
Homes and apartments built in the last 15 years were required to have inter-connected smoke detectors. This means when one detector goes into ALARM, all of them will sound the ALARM. To determine which detector is in alarm, look for a solid glowing RED LED. Clean the detector with compressed air, if it continues to go into ALARM, replace it.
Smoke and CO detectors should be mounted a least 3 feet from any air vent (supply or return). If your's is mounted incorrectly, move it if you can do so safely, if not, clean the detector regularly with compressed air or replace it frequently.
I had business with the Oklahoma City Fire Marshal several years ago. In his office, he had a display of fire damaged smoke detectors that SAVED peoples lives. Right next to that display was another that had fire damaged smoke detectors where lives were lost and EVERY ONE of those detectors had the battery disconnected or removed! So play it safe, replace those batteries!!!!

Top Bottom