needsabike

Jan 21, 2002
before you all flame me i know i made a stupid move. i ran the bike without checking the oil. it was the 2nd day i had the bike and the 1st time i went riding. i startd hearing a scrapin/clinking/grinding noise so i decided to just try and ride it 1 mile back home.half way there the engine cut off,i tried to start it again but there was no compression and it didnt put up any resistance when i kicked it. it went down real easy and the engine didnt even sound like it was trying to start,it just made a winding up noise.so then i kept trying to kick it and the kick starter locked up and would only go halfway down then just stop.no matter how hard i tried kicking it(i tried like 3 times)it wouldnt start,it was just stuck.i pushed it the rest of the way home. then when i got home i checked the oil and it was bone dry. i think i messed up real bad thsi time.thsi is my first bike and i barely got to ride it.can nayone give me some advice on what to do,whats messed up,how much itll cost to replace,how much if i buy the stuff and do the work myself,and if i buy a manual for the bike if itll tell me how to fix/replace whatever is broken on it????

mprest4

Nov 14, 2001
just had something similar happen on a kx 250 - the piston shattered and the pieces went into the crankcase - the pieces stuck between the crank and case and prevented the crank from turning - thus the kickstart lever would not budge at all - couldn't push start it in any gear - couldn't even roll the back wheel. had to split the cases and clean everything out. take your carb off and look for broken piston. may just be a seized piston (very tight). if so then you may just have to have redo the top end. have to pull the head and cylinder to see.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Need,
The cost to repair will probably exceed the amount you spent on the bike. You have one good thing going for you, you can easily sell it in Wilmington as an anchor. Sounds like the log-in fits. Good luck.:eek:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
hey 96whyzee I noticed the thanks to team powersports thing on your signature. What did they do? They tried to sell me 2002 cr80 for $3900 (i got it for 3144 somewhere else). So i dont have a very high opinion of them. They also charged my friend $130 for a new spark plug (& install) and they sprayed carb cleaner in the carb.

You are right about the cost...you could part the bike out . I've seen screws from old bikes for sale on ebay for as much ad 4 bucks apiece. open up the top end and check before selling though

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
Dell,

TPS has to make a living too. $130.00 for a plug install? What did your friend really want done to his bike? A fool and his money…! And, what are you doing out of school, it’s 2:00 pm. This time I’m really calling your mom.

Later,
Dave

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
LOL 96 yz, I'm not outta school (I am now) I was in the library and decided to make a break for the computers. My friends bike wouldnt start, so he took it to team powersports. He asked the guy what he had done to it and the guy said he put in a new plug and sprayed the carb(and they charged him )130. The bike broke 3 months later so he took it o uncle bill (thats what we call him) and uncle bill fixed it for $5 and its been rinning ever since (3 years). The place I bought my cr from was brewer cycles in henderson. They have a much better showroom, more property (they even have a small test track in the back) and a whole lot more, and nicer people and sold the bike to me for much less. Team Powersport's exp. of the higher price was that there was a 150 crate fee, 350 dollar dealer setup fee. (Gimme a break!) and the rest was dealer markup because the msrp of the bike is so low. (2999 at the time I bought) Redden honda really sucks too. The parts guy there is nice though.

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
I don't think much of the sales team at TPS, the parts guys are great though, Brock treats me well, gives me good discounts, and knows his stuff, he races as well.
How far away is Brewer and where in Henderson?

96 whyzee do you trail ride or ride mx?

Yes!:cool:
Going to Poole Rd either Sat. or Sun.:confused:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I dont remember actually. I can see a picture in my mind, but I dont remember the street.
If 70 is the one that leads down that way, its about 1/4 mile away from the exit.

We used to go to poole rd, but the 4 wheeler drunkards are why we dont go there anymore. We might go this weekend to poole on saturday. Either there or Archers Lodge. I havent riddin any trails recently, and am geting that itch!
If we are going anywhere we will do it saturday. Mabye we can meet up?

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
I just checked out your webshots thing. Its cool because I know exactly where you are in all of those pictures. How recent are those?

whyzee

Never enough time !
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 24, 2001
those were taken in late November. Clean out your mail box so i can send you my #. You or your dad give me a call Fri. evening, we can get together Sat. Actually thinking of going to Archers after a warm up at Poole. :confused:

dell30rb

Uhhh...
Dec 2, 2001
Ok its cleared. We usually get to archers lodge around 12:30 and ride intil 5:30 or so to make sure we're really sore in the morning. We could get there earlier mabye. I doubt I can get my mom to take us to 2 places. Our rig is a 1996 gold colored grand cherokee with a black trailer behind it. I'll call you friday. let me know what time to call. I need to pick up some plugs before I ride. Team powersports is on the way to Archers if you dont take the beltline. I got a 5 bucks off coupon for any parts at team powersports. Mabye we could meet in the parking lot there. Let me know if you wanna do poole rd or archers lodge.

Sorry for stealing your thread needsabike!

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom