CSL

Oct 30, 2000
Going to go look at a used 321 tomorrow. Any known things to look for? It's being advertised for REALLY cheap, and the owner claims that it's cosmetically challenged but mechanically sound. What should I look for?

BTW, this will be my first trials bike. I'm buying CHEAP in case it turns out to be not my bag... and for when I drop it a lot...

TIA

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Trials bikes are designed to cope with the odd crash, so don't base too much of your decision on that alone.

Just take a really careful look over it as with any bike. Make sure that the fan works as they can be expensive to replace - so run the bike until it is hot (5 mins in the car park won't generally do it!). Also check the head stock and the swingarm bearings and bushes, as again they can add up to a few more $$ than you would first think.

The main thing is that you have to want to ride it, so if it looks bad, rattles lots, blows heaps of smoke and is generally difficult to live with - then you probably won't ride it much. Whereas if it sounds good and everything works properly then you probably will ride it.

My wife would argue that I'm cosmetically impaired but mechanically capable - until I hurt my back that is - now she just calls me a geriatric. :yikes:

Last edited:

Patman

Pantless Wonder
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 26, 1999
LOL Wayne!!!

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
Thanks Wayne! I gave it a good once over. It's not a complete basket case, so I bought it. Now I just wish I knew what it was. The former owner didn't really know. He said other people had told him they thought it was a 1995 321, althought it's stamped with a 350cc on the left side of the cylinder. He said when he got it the fan and kill switch were not wired up, so he at least did that much.

I'm pretty sure I'll ride it, since the other bikes that I ride (and maintain) are in even worse condition... ;)

But I would like to find out what it is, for simple maintenance requirements like spark plug replacement and fluids. I guess it's time to seek out a Gas Gas dealer...

Cheers!

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Have a look at the www.gasgas.com web site and there are pictures of some of the older models (under bikes and then Pre-2004). There are a large number of the '93 to '97 big bore bikes over here, and most are still running pretty well. Our club President rides a '97 JTX370 (which is a 321cc!) and nothing much seems to go wrong with it (he doesn't seem to fall off much either). It may be that the larger bore bikes don't really need to rev much to pick up plenty of speed, so they are not usually as stressed as smaller bikes (just a theory). He tends to just use 1st gear most of the time, and manages to get up and over most obstacles and hills at our club A grade level.

Definitely make sure that the fan works, as you will get heat damage otherwise. Maybe give the GasGas importer a ring, as they seem to be very helpful from what I've heard from people in the US.

I've put a PDF file which has some interesting info on it on our club web site which may help;
http://www.ixion.org.nz/ggman.pdf

Enjoy and remember to keep your feet up!

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
The PDf was written by a Bill de Garis from Canada, so thanks very much Bill for making the information available to help other riders out!

CSL

Oct 30, 2000
wayneg said:
Have a look at the www.gasgas.com web site and there are pictures of some of the older models (under bikes and then Pre-2004). There are a large number of the '93 to '97 big bore bikes over here, and most are still running pretty well. Our club President rides a '97 JTX370 (which is a 321cc!) and nothing much seems to go wrong with it (he doesn't seem to fall off much either). It may be that the larger bore bikes don't really need to rev much to pick up plenty of speed, so they are not usually as stressed as smaller bikes (just a theory). He tends to just use 1st gear most of the time, and manages to get up and over most obstacles and hills at our club A grade level.

Definitely make sure that the fan works, as you will get heat damage otherwise. Maybe give the GasGas importer a ring, as they seem to be very helpful from what I've heard from people in the US.

I've put a PDF file which has some interesting info on it on our club web site which may help;
http://www.ixion.org.nz/ggman.pdf

Enjoy and remember to keep your feet up!

Wayne,
Thanks again for the help! After looking at gasgasmuseum.com, it appears that I picked up a 1996 JTR370. It seems to run strong, and I rode it around a little course in the back yard most of the afternoon without any problems. The fan DOES come on after about 5 minutes and pretty much stays on continuously after that. I'll be changing all of the fluids and inspecting the thermostat, in case it shouldn't be running full time.

Thanks again,
Will

wayneg

~SPONSOR~
Aug 29, 2001
Whoops - that is the same as the one Kevin has, not the JTX320. Next time I see him I'll ask him what to look for - I'm pretty sure that he has only ever done minimal maintenance on his one though, and it seems to just keep on going and going....

Theres a few photos on our club web site such as;
http://www.ixion.org.nz/Gallery/Club Trial 7-9-03/640x480/KevinT1.jpg
http://www.ixion.org.nz/Gallery/Club Trial 8-6-03/640x480/kev3T.jpg

The links on the website are knackered - I'd better try and fix it up.

Brian Robison

Mar 10, 2005
Hi All!,
I just found this forum.
CSL, what you have is a JT35. You probably know that by now though. I've got one and it's a good bike. Pulls like a tractor. Smooth, not peaky at all. Hard to kick start.

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
Hey CSL I see you live in Woodland park,CO I live in Morrison,CO I own 97 JTX 270 (250cc). If you are looking for a Gas Gas dealer there is Pro Motorsports in Denver (44th and Sheridan, just north of I 70) they are really knowledgeable, DO NOT got to the guy in Broomfield eurosport unlimited he is a screw job! Call the importer and they will send you a maintence video that will outine repair and assebly of every part of the bike. I have the older video from 97 that has alot about your bike too as a matter of fact as the bikes change very little, the new video though has a lot of stuff specifically for the new(er) Pro models but still cover the old stuff too.

BTW I ride Rampart sometimes since it is close, get too busy though towards 2:00

judson

Nov 5, 2004
CSL,
Martha at Pro Motorsports is GREAT. I haven't ordered from Stan Hensly in Pueblo but he is another choice. Dale (the importer) sent me a video/DVD twice as my 2 year old broke the first one.
Let's get together and ride sometime!
-Judson
p.s. I'm up in Wellington but will drive down to ride!

:ride:

Last edited:

judson

Nov 5, 2004
JunkMan,

The offer to ride is extended to anyone that can put up with a novice/amateur rider along the front range, anywhere for that matter! :cool:

TheJunkMan

Jul 9, 2003
No I don't they are to far south for me, plus I am sort of new to the area, meaning I just moved here but have always been familiar with the area riding MX tracks, trails up in the mountains (red cone, geogretown, ect) But now I live here permenant I would like to get invovled with the RMTA (I rode with the MWTA) but I don't know any other trials riders out here, just MX racers or dare I say it, sport quad riders :o

judson

Nov 5, 2004
Since I live so far north, I ride with WMTA (Wyoming) as well. Same time to get to most of the events but without having to go through Denver. Lefthand Canyon out of Boulder has some trails, so I've heard. Used to be REAL good before some trail closures. (Second hand knowledge too) The next RMTA event is on the 2-3 of April.... see you there?

-Judson

Top Bottom