95yz250rider

Dec 25, 2006
more low to mid power on 95 yz 250

I was wondering what whould happen if I kept my powervalve closed if i would lose any low mid or top end, or gain anything.

And wut would happen if I completely took it out, I know micro sprints run them with the powervalves out.

Last edited:

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
well on my 94 wr250 i rode it for a while with the power valve engaged constantly due to a missing roll pin in the governor and it was very tame compared to wut i now call "the beast" now it is just plane scary fast and has balls everywhere you need it.... and im a plus sized boy <270 pounds>. i guess my point is its very tame with out a functioning powervalve, hope i helped

95yz250rider

Dec 25, 2006
Need more bottom end

I was wondering what other mods i can get to give me more low to mid range power. I already has fmf exhaust system, moose torque spacer,& v force 3 reeds, what other mods would help me in this catagory.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
95yz250rider said:
I want more power out of my bike not to kill myself im only a little guy i only weigh 140. lol.

15 years old and 140 lbs... And a 250 doesn't have enough power for you?

I somehow doubt that you are using that bike to it's full potential.

If you are, dude, you need to turn pro and go put a spankin on JBS and RC.

Rcannon

~SPONSOR~
Nov 17, 2001
A 95 yz 250 can be made to RIP an dbe a fast motorcycle.

The first question bothers me, however. To have anything decent you'll need to repair your powervalve.

Not to do so would be like asking how to make your corvette hit 150 on flat tires.

95yz250rider

Dec 25, 2006
IndyYZ85 said:
15 years old and 140 lbs... And a 250 doesn't have enough power for you?

I somehow doubt that you are using that bike to it's full potential.

If you are, dude, you need to turn pro and go put a spankin on JBS and RC.

Well here's the thing yes it has an amazingly lot of power but im looking for more i am a woods rider and love to climb hills so the more low end the better.

IndyMX

Crash Test Dummy
~SPONSOR~
Jul 18, 2006
Amo, IN
95yz250rider said:
Well here's the thing yes it has an amazingly lot of power but im looking for more i am a woods rider and love to climb hills so the more low end the better.

Then you may want to consider a 4 stroke.

griffbones

Sep 12, 2006
I have no idea about the low end on a 1995 YZ250, but I recently spent a day riding on a borrowed 2000 YZ250. I was riding in some very tight gnarly woods with lots of steep uphill sections and it was very wet conditions to boot; I thought the YZ250 had tons of low end power for a stock two stroke and I had no problems with it at all, although a flywheel weight would have been a nice additon since it was so muddy.

95yz250rider

Dec 25, 2006
John Cena said:
What gearing are you running on the 250? Maybe drop the front sprocket 1 size.

im pretty sure im running stock gearing. and if i drop more than one tooth on the front how much more woud that give me.

Rideblue4ever

Aug 28, 2006
before i blew up my 2000 yz250 i put a 13 tooth sprocket on it stock is 14 and it helped so much..i loved it but then i runined it when i had it pinned in 5th gear racing a 125 on the road..wont do that again

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
okay tell me a little about this bike. you say you ride woods.. what type of woods like lots of corners? hill climbs. i'd say on 95% of hill climbing you spend more time in the middle-top end of the bike.. unless you start from a dead stop on the bottom of the hill.

okay so about the bike. fmf setup: what kind? (fatty, factory fatty, sst, rev?)
Torque plate: myself i don't use em, not worth it.
Vforce reeds: when did you install em? and when's the last time you checked/replaced the pedals?
Powervalve: when's the last time you cleaned it? it's the twist open am i correct?
Sprockets: what ya runnin?
Carb: what jetting ya runnin?

95yz250rider

Dec 25, 2006
MX86 said:
okay tell me a little about this bike. you say you ride woods.. what type of woods like lots of corners? hill climbs. i'd say on 95% of hill climbing you spend more time in the middle-top end of the bike.. unless you start from a dead stop on the bottom of the hill.

i mostly ride in silt that all that around here, hillclimbs woods are really open nice enviroment to ride in.

okay so about the bike. fmf setup: what kind? (fatty, factory fatty, sst, rev?)
Torque plate: myself i don't use em, not worth it.
Vforce reeds: when did you install em? and when's the last time you checked/replaced the pedals?
Powervalve: when's the last time you cleaned it? it's the twist open am i correct?
Sprockets: what ya runnin?
Carb: what jetting ya runnin?

i runnin a fatty with turbine core 2 silencer
moose torque spacer
the reeds were just recently putin aweek ago nothin wrong wit em.
yes its a twist and i jst cleanded it
sprockets are stock gearing
and jets are stock as far as i know

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
it's a stock 50 in the rear or a 52? i would personally go up 2 teeth in the rear. it will help get the revs up alittle quicker and snap ya into the powerband.

i can't see how you don't have enough already unless something is messed up.. mine i went down a tooth to give me a little more working room with the first and second gear.

i don't mean to be harsh here or anything but, how long ya been riding? i just can't see a 250 not having enough bottom end.. mine if ya dump the clutch will stand up on end... unless your trying to do a dead-start in 3rd gear or somthing along those lines...

95yz250rider

Dec 25, 2006
MX86 said:
it's a stock 50 in the rear or a 52? i would personally go up 2 teeth in the rear. it will help get the revs up alittle quicker and snap ya into the powerband.

i can't see how you don't have enough already unless something is messed up.. mine i went down a tooth to give me a little more working room with the first and second gear.

i don't mean to be harsh here or anything but, how long ya been riding? i just can't see a 250 not having enough bottom end.. mine if ya dump the clutch will stand up on end... unless your trying to do a dead-start in 3rd gear or somthing along those lines...

o00 no dont get me wrong i have loads of bottom end i was just lookin for wome little mods that i can get a little more bottom end and trhottle response.

MX86

Dec 27, 2006
you have the pipe/silencer, reeds.

i'd say either drop the front sprocket down 1 or go bigger in the rear 2 or 3.

other then that porting and milling the head would probably be your only other option

jmics

Apr 19, 2006
I am going to assume that this bike is relativeley new to you.Double check the engine condition ,a racing engine with low compression will still run pretty good but with a considerable lack of power compared to a fresh engine. double check your ignition timing ,a lot of earlier yz's had aggressive ignition timing where owner's would back off the timing to either fight detonation or gain a little top end power.Check the drive system,chain,sprockets,wheel bearings ,tires is the engine making good power and just not getting to the ground?

kingbrian

Jul 20, 2006
95yz250rider said:
my 94 wr is virtually the same bike with a wide ratio trans and im 270lbs. if im not careful itll have me on the ground in a heart beat i got a fatty with a shorty and a shorty v-force reeds and a 14-50 gear. id check the powervalve, pull the cover off the right side of the cylinder and rev the bike on a stand the the valve should open around 5-6000 rpm. then id check out the top end. just my 2 cents though

Top Bottom