96-01 YZ cracked gas tanks! will 02 fit?

Discussion in 'Big Bikes' started by bclapham, Jul 21, 2002.

1. bclapham

bclapham Lifetime Sponsor

its not a big problem, but it does happen unfortunately! The yz400/426 tanks are really bad, some people have been through 2-3!

Its a shame since i wanted to give my bike the newer look! i have read a lot that the 02 YZ250 frame is very stiff and makes for poorer handling and suspension setup compared to the 01. I wonder if this played any part in McGraths difficulties since he did comment about his setup and since he is such a precise rider this may have effected him more than others! Maybe if they could have dressed the 01 frame up to look like an 02 (like honda did with the 93 cr250) then he wouldnt be looking for other rides this year!

2. MXP1MP

MXP1MP Pro Champ

Actually don't blame the frame, it was the way the suspension was setup stock. 95% of the time it was great once in awhile the action would seem like it got confused. Ever since I had it revalved it has been alot better. My biggest problems with it was that it wasn't overall very plush and on high speed impacts the last few inches of travel sometimes felt like it just blew threw the travel like thier was no resistance. I ended up having my suspenion redone similar to the changes yamaha is claiming for '03. But yet when I jump on my buddies '01 RM 125 or '02 CR 250 my YZ feels harsh and stiff but those bikes are like the kings of plushness. Compared to my '01 CR 125 the YZ feels all plush. Your guess on that is as good as mine.

3. marcusgunby

marcusgunby Lifetime Sponsor

Bruce i have read viz from time to time;) i doubt you will break my cr tank as it is mostly in the frame, even with your buster gonads.Not trying to dog on any other brands here but my bike has only had pistons/rings and tyres all season-original stickers/chain/sprockets and pads.Maybe i dont ride fast enough?

Shoot any questions over when you are ready.

4. bclapham

shut up!:)

I wanted the 02CR, and got an excellent price and all of the qualifying credit, but since i have only been in the county 2 1/2 years they would not finance unless i could get someone to co-sign (and thats a big ask of anyone!). In the end i managed to get the YZ used at a good price so i am riding, its an excellent bike and i am happy! (just).....but after Julia's Jetta, we will never but anything used again, ive got great stories on every used vehicle i have ever had!

its funny, in so cal, its not ricky, or McGrath an co that sell bikes, its MXA. There are so many bikes at the track with all of the parts they endorse, and i would bet they are all running MXA jetting and clickers! I want to start racing next year (i need quite some practise) and i will be in a godd place if i can understand how to set such things up by myself.

As for questions, the forks come off tonight so expect to hear from me by the time you read this message!

thanks

5. Jeff Howe

Jeff Howe Pro Class

I put a Clarke tank on my 00 YZ this year. It fits fine, but it seems to cover up the plug more than the stock tank did. I whited out my YZ so I bought a white tank. I've got no real complaints with it really, it bolts up fine I guess.

6. lobotomy

lobotomy Member

I've got a Clarke tank on my '96 YZ. Everything bolted up as it should, and there isn't a noticeable difference in plug access. Hope this helps.

7. bclapham

hey shocknut and lobotomy: di you guys replace your tanks because your old tank cracked?

8. WR250Z

WR250Z Novice

bclapham,
    Were you able to source a stock tank?

9. bclapham

no, i couldnt find a used stock tank, so i will go for a clarke direct copy new!

thanks

10. CrazyPel

CrazyPel Rookie

Im kinda new to this but i recently bought an 01yz250 with a bad tank and i really didnt wanna spend $250 for a new 1. So what i found out is a 93 tank& shrouds will bolt rght on with slight modifiction, had to use a bracket to lower the seat catch and it worked flawlessly in case anyone is wondering.