96-01 YZ cracked gas tanks! will 02 fit?

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Today i noticed that the gas tank on my 01 yz250 is cracked! the cracks are near the top of the tank where the middle of the three radiator shrould bolts go. it is cracked on both sides, and each crack is about 2 inches. It appears that the crack has come about from me getting forward on the seat in corners, but i am quite upset since i dont believe i have put that much pressure on to break it.

so here goes with my questions:

1. i have heard about cracked tanks on YZ-F's but has anyone had it happen on the 96-01 YZ's?
2. Does anyone know if i will be able to do a repair?
3. Has anyone tried the Clarke stock tank? at $165, they are a lot cheaper than OEM....are there any other manufacturers of stock tanks?
4. will an 02 tank fit the 01?....if i am going to fork out some cash, i may as well make mine look like an 02!

thanks

bruce

ps. if anyone has a tank for sale then please let me know!

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
Bruce:

The cracked tank thing seems to be contagious. :)

I tried melting the crack:moon: shut with a soldering gun and then melting a piece of fender over the crack, but it still leaks like a seive. I'm adding PVC glue (the kind you use for PVC pipe) just to see what happens, but I think only realistic solution is a new Clark tank for my YZF.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
The cracked tank thing seems to be contagious.

Hi ron! look like you beat me to the chase since i was going to drop you a line. I am sorry you had to leave early on friday, i was looking forward to riding with you.....i kept chasing down JP but then he would bypass the whoops and the table top and i couldnt catch up. i took a spin on his exc and went faster than on my yz, a real soafer on wheels (i was wondering if it had a DVD player and cup holder!!:))

I am obviously pissed at my tank, its near the top so i will keep riding for a couple of weeks, but i can see big spends in the future! i may have a go at fixing it but i cant see a happy out come, i will probably go for the clarke, but i want to find out if the 02 will fit so i can make my bike look newer.

Bruce once you rode my Cr you wont want anything blue again

Marcus: Can you remember Viz comic? Just out of interest, the character Buster Gonads and his amazingly large $%#@*&^les was inspired by my good self! :eek: Make sure you reinforce that tank, and have a wheel barrow ready! :p I think this may be the reason for the breakage!

as regarding red vs blue, you are right, but its a shame honda dont make them as good as you do! i will drop you a line with some suspension questions soon if that is ok!

thanks guys

bruce

yzeater

~SPONSOR~
May 21, 2001
This probably wouldn't work...but could you try something like JB Weld on the tank? On the container it says it fixes gas tanks and works on plastic. It may not be the prettiest fix, but it could work

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Thanks wr, i didnt think it would either, and in addition the more i thought about it i might have had to change the seat as well.

thanks yz, the reason the tank has cracked is from the stress of my weight getting right over the tank in corners. i would expect that JB would be to brittle for such an application and with the tank being plastic the JB would not "key" to the surface, that being said i will check to see if there are any products that might work, i am thinking of something with a strong solvent base that will melt or weld it together.

holeshot

Crazy Russian
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 25, 2000
If you go to ThumperTalk.com and do a search in the 426 forum for "crack tank", you'll see quite a few threads regarding the problem, along with any attempted fixes.

I don't know why I attempted to fix mine, because I'd never be comfortable riding with a patched tank anyway.... :)

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Just to anwser your question about the '02 tank fitting no it won't cause of the way the backbone is for '02. Its not round its actually alittle more of a flat oval shape and I think they mount in slightly different positions. I'd go with the clarke tank they make good tanks.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
my 2000 yz125's gas tank is not cracked i had my bike for 2 years

its not a big problem, but it does happen unfortunately! The yz400/426 tanks are really bad, some people have been through 2-3!

Just to anwser your question about the '02 tank fitting no it won't cause of the way the backbone is for '02.

Its a shame since i wanted to give my bike the newer look! i have read a lot that the 02 YZ250 frame is very stiff and makes for poorer handling and suspension setup compared to the 01. I wonder if this played any part in McGraths difficulties since he did comment about his setup and since he is such a precise rider this may have effected him more than others! Maybe if they could have dressed the 01 frame up to look like an 02 (like honda did with the 93 cr250) then he wouldnt be looking for other rides this year!

MXP1MP

Nov 14, 2000
Actually don't blame the frame, it was the way the suspension was setup stock. 95% of the time it was great once in awhile the action would seem like it got confused. Ever since I had it revalved it has been alot better. My biggest problems with it was that it wasn't overall very plush and on high speed impacts the last few inches of travel sometimes felt like it just blew threw the travel like thier was no resistance. I ended up having my suspenion redone similar to the changes yamaha is claiming for '03. But yet when I jump on my buddies '01 RM 125 or '02 CR 250 my YZ feels harsh and stiff but those bikes are like the kings of plushness. Compared to my '01 CR 125 the YZ feels all plush. Your guess on that is as good as mine.

marcusgunby

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jan 9, 2000
Bruce i have read viz from time to time;) i doubt you will break my cr tank as it is mostly in the frame, even with your buster gonads.Not trying to dog on any other brands here but my bike has only had pistons/rings and tyres all season-original stickers/chain/sprockets and pads.Maybe i dont ride fast enough?

Shoot any questions over when you are ready.

bclapham

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 5, 2001
Maybe i dont ride fast enough?
shut up!:)

I wanted the 02CR, and got an excellent price and all of the qualifying credit, but since i have only been in the county 2 1/2 years they would not finance unless i could get someone to co-sign (and thats a big ask of anyone!). In the end i managed to get the YZ used at a good price so i am riding, its an excellent bike and i am happy! (just).....but after Julia's Jetta, we will never but anything used again, ive got great stories on every used vehicle i have ever had!

its funny, in so cal, its not ricky, or McGrath an co that sell bikes, its MXA. There are so many bikes at the track with all of the parts they endorse, and i would bet they are all running MXA jetting and clickers! I want to start racing next year (i need quite some practise) and i will be in a godd place if i can understand how to set such things up by myself.

As for questions, the forks come off tonight so expect to hear from me by the time you read this message!

thanks

Jeff Howe

Apr 19, 2000
I put a Clarke tank on my 00 YZ this year. It fits fine, but it seems to cover up the plug more than the stock tank did. I whited out my YZ so I bought a white tank. I've got no real complaints with it really, it bolts up fine I guess.

lobotomy

May 8, 2001
I've got a Clarke tank on my '96 YZ. Everything bolted up as it should, and there isn't a noticeable difference in plug access. Hope this helps.

CrazyPel

Mar 3, 2017
Today i noticed that the gas tank on my 01 yz250 is cracked! the cracks are near the top of the tank where the middle of the three radiator shrould bolts go. it is cracked on both sides, and each crack is about 2 inches. It appears that the crack has come about from me getting forward on the seat in corners, but i am quite upset since i dont believe i have put that much pressure on to break it.

so here goes with my questions:

1. i have heard about cracked tanks on YZ-F's but has anyone had it happen on the 96-01 YZ's?
2. Does anyone know if i will be able to do a repair?
3. Has anyone tried the Clarke stock tank? at $165, they are a lot cheaper than OEM....are there any other manufacturers of stock tanks?
4. will an 02 tank fit the 01?....if i am going to fork out some cash, i may as well make mine look like an 02!

thanks

bruce

ps. if anyone has a tank for sale then please let me know!
Im kinda new to this but i recently bought an 01yz250 with a bad tank and i really didnt wanna spend $250 for a new 1. So what i found out is a 93 tank& shrouds will bolt rght on with slight modifiction, had to use a bracket to lower the seat catch and it worked flawlessly in case anyone is wondering.

Top Bottom