Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
My son's CR has a weak-to non-existant spark. I've replaced the stator, checked and re-checked the grounds and all connections. I have the Honda factory repair manual, but almost none of the readings check normal. I.E. the stator is supposed to generate at least 100 volts, and hits maybe 75. Anyone have any suggestions? I really don't want to just throw parts at it. :think:

dirtfreak

Feb 16, 2003
Gary B.

Have you tried a hotter spark plug? If it's the stock number on the plug, there are two other plugs you can buy for the bike. Honda sells a "colder" and a "hotter" plug for different climates. Check the owner's manual to see which plug you have. It might be that the plug's not gapped correctly, also. If it has been dropped, the grounding electrode (the hooked piece of metal) might have been bent, closing the gap and making the plug spark weaker. Check your manual to see what the specs for the gap are and take a feeler gauge to your spark plug to see if the plug's within spec. Hope this helps.

--dirtfreak

Gary B.

~SPONSOR~
Apr 17, 2000
I don't think the plug's got anything to do with it. I can barely see a spark while kicking furiously, and none when kicking normally.

dirtfreak

Feb 16, 2003
Still check the gap, it might be the cause and it'll save you from spending more $$ than you already have. If you've replaced the stator and checked everything else, I don't know anything else that could be the problem other than the spark plug wire. It might be damaged, so depending if you want to or not, you could replace it, but no guarantee that it'll work.

dirtfreak

Top Bottom