jpm5151

Sep 11, 2001
Was wondering if anyone had any pointers on what to look for. I layed my bike down going over some doubles and then went to start it again and couldn't get it to spark. Checked the engine kill switch it appears to work. Did the spark test couldn't get a spark, so is there anything obvious I need to look for before I take the flywheel off etc? All wires appear to be connected and couldn't see any cuts or shorts in the wires. It seems like something may have come loose when I crashed but what would seem logical? Took the ignition cover and there was a little rust on the flywheel, is this common or could that affect other things. Any help would greatly be appreciated since I really can't afford to take it to someone to get it fixed, plus I would really like to troubleshoot my own stuff. Thanks.

Jeff Marburger
1998 Yamaha YZ-250

B

biglou

I've seen a little rust on the flywheel, it's ok. The pick-up and sensor should be clean, tho. Just to throw out a few ideas here-Did you change the plug? (thinking it could have cracked. Longshot, I know) Did your CDI box get smashed/impacted? Have you checked the carb? Stuck float or something...
My first thought would be the fouled/cracked pug. That's easiest, I'd try that first. Other than that, it gets back to the three things you need-Fuel, spark and compression.

Bricks88

Sponsoring Member
Mar 14, 2002
Disconect the kill switch.You can check it with an ohm meter.You said"the Kill switch apears to work" maybe too well.Its not the strongest part of the bike and the crash might of broken the isulator/seperator inside the switch.If you can get your hands on a ohm meter connect it to the two wires from the kill switch or the one wire to a frame ground depending how youre bike is wired. You should have no reading because its a open circuit, then press on the button and you will get a reading if the switch is working properly.This happened to my KX and you can rule it out after this test.

Last edited:

Top Bottom