'99 Yamaha DT230 Manufacturer Specs

Casso

Feb 22, 2006
(Coppied from the general forum. Thought it was more applicable here)

Out of curiosity, does anyone else on these forums actually own one of these? I'm going to keep posting about them because there's feck all info on the web, and I reckon anything I discover might be helpfull to others.

Anyway...

Note that this is on the '99 model, and may not be applicable to all year models.

Also, I've typed it by hand, so I may have made some typos. So on that note, I accept no responsibility for people using this data in any way shape or form. You do so on your own head :)

Engine Bore x Stroke / Displacement: 66.8mm * 64.0mm / 224cm^3
Ignition: Digital CDI
Starter System: Electric
Transmission: 6-speed
Frame Type: Chrome-moly Steel Tube
Overall Length: 2,225mm
Overall Width: 800mm
Overall Height: 1,200 mm
Seat Height: 865mm
Wheelbase: 1,410mm
Ground Clearance: 300mm
Dry Weight: 121Kg
Tyre Size / Pressure (Front): 3.00-21 51P / 1.25 Kg/cm^3
Tyre Size / Pressure (Rear): 4.60-18 63P / 1.50 Kg/cm^3
Compression Ratio: 6.5:1
Compression Pressure: 8.2 Kg/cm^3
Piston Clearance: 0.045mm - 0.050mm
Piston Outside Diameter Measuring Point: 10.0mm
Ring End Gap (Top / 2nd): 0.30mm - 0.50mm / 0.30mm - 0.50mm
Ring Groove Side Clearance (Top / 2nd): 0.02mm - 0.06mm / 0.030mm - 0.065mm
Valve Clearance (Engine Cold) In/Ex: -
Minimum Autolube Pump Stroke: 0.20mm - 0.24mm
Carburettor Type / Manufactured / I.D. Mark: TM30x1 / MIKUNI / 4TP00
Main Jet: #165 M.J.
Jet Needle, Clip Position: 6DHY40-4 J.N.
Needle Jet: O-0 N.J.
Pilot jet: #22.5 P.J.
Pilot / Air Screw (Turn Out): 1-1/4 P.S. (A.S.)
Float height / Fuel Level: 12.4-13.4/- F.H / F.L
Idling Engine Speed: 1,300-1,400 r/min
Secondary type / Teeth / Ratio: Chain / 55 / 16 / 3.437
Secondary Drive Chain Type / No. of Links: 428VS3 / 132
Transmission Case (Reassemble): 850cm^3 / SAE 10W30 SE Motor Oil
Transmission Case (Filter Change): -
Transmission Case (Periodic Change): 800 cm^3
Oil Tank: 1.3 Litre / Air cooled 2-stroke engine oil
Fuel Tank: 11.0 Litre / Regulator
Front Fork Oil: 542 cm^3 / Fork Oil 10W or Equivalent / -
Rear Shock Absorber (Monocross): 15.0 kg / cm^3
Gear Case (Middle / Final): -
Radiator: 1.26 Litre
Electrical Charging System / Model: C.D.I Magneto
Battery Type / Capacity: GT6B-3 / 1.320 / 12V, 6Ah
Headlight Wattage (High / Low Beam): 12V, 60 / 55 W
Brake Light / Taillight Wattage: 12V, 21 / 5 W
A.C Generator Max Output: 14V, 12A / 5,000 rpm
Lighting / Charging Coil Resistance: -
Pickup Coil / Source Coil Resistance: 820 Ohms +/- 20% (W/R – W/L) | 750 Ohms +/- 20% (B/R – G/W) | 590 Ohms +/- 20% (G/L – G/W)
Ignition Coil (Primary / Secondary): 0.23 Ohms +/- 20% / 7.9k +/- 20%
Spark Plug Type / Gap: BR9ES (NGK) / 0.7mm – 0.8mm
Ignition Timing (Retarded) / (Advanced): 14 degrees (1,350) BTDC

Casso

Feb 22, 2006
For other people searching for a service manual, the part number is 4TP3-AE1 (DT230 Service Manual).

The user manual is also available from the yamaha website - I highly recomend it while you're waiting for the full service manual, as it has info on setting the suspension up, etc (usefull if the previous owner knew next to nothing about the bike).

Stubious

Apr 20, 2006
Hey Casso,
I bought one of these last November. Clocked up about 6000km on it already. There's a bit around about them IF YOU READ JAPANESE.

Bottom end is all DT200 so parts aren't too bad to get ot too expensive Top end is unique to the bike and there are only Yamaha original parts available for piston and rings etc.

Your's isn't the only one that runs rough when it's not under load. 1st 1/4 throttle it runs crap. After that its hold tight we're off :laugh: . Typical two stroke I think, it's the 1st 2smoke I;ve owned.

One thing to watch, I broke the power valve on mine a few weeks back, from now on I'll pull it every 100k's and give it a clean. Oh and I'll use a fully synthetic oil.

Stubious

Sajjad

Jan 31, 2007
DT230 Lanza

Hello Everyone,

DT230 Lanza is a wonderful bike, I enjoy riding it on the streets in Srilanka where the traffic is terrible, Parts are freely available through the Yamaha Agent here, They actually get it down from Japan, Found the parts and user manual in the web. Any suggestions whre i could get a service manual please.. Thnks

Last edited:

mikethevigo

Feb 28, 2007
mikes bikes

i love these bikes ,i curently have a ktm 525 desert and the lanza (dt230 )the dt is so easy to ride, i have surprised many a ktm /xr rider with this bikes capability, the bike is great for shorties ( like me ) and crossing rivers and climbing rocks is confidence inspiring,.most of my riding is done in thailand and cambodia, the bike has never let me down, and i dont know anyone that has fitted a piston !ive ridden these bikes for 5 years now and it is as very underated bike , 3000 kms trip on this was perfect, the same on the ktm and im exausted and my ass looks like a baboons ! if you need any advice or help, let me know,ps check out w. toursintheextreme. o m and you will see what we get up to in asia !

bailz

Sep 9, 2007
I have a 99' DT230 and love it. I have clocked over 15,000klms and it has never skipped a beat. I stripped it down to replace piston & rings recently and broke the power valve trying to get it out..you have to twist the power valve to remove it..take note if you intend to remove yours to clean it damn!

They only ran the model for about 4-5 years in Australia, so secondhand parts at wreckers is pretty much non-existent, however there is guy in Japan who will send you Jap motorcycle parts and save you a fortune.

It seems to be a bit of a curiosity with other riders who want to know "what bike is that?". Stock exhaust weighs more than the queen mary and it made a big difference to install a DT200 Pro Circuit muffler, sounds a lot better too.

Suspension lets it down though and heavier riders will put the suspension onto the bump stops on sketchy sections of track, but it will handle abuse all day long, I have punished this bike brutally in the Victorian high country and never broke anything, apart from indicators dropping it... Seat is way more comfortable than a highly strung enduro bike like a WR450 and you sit in the bike, not on it. it's got a cruiser feel about it...

It has plenty of power, around 40 horspower from memory, my friend and I went on the blue light ride in Noojee Victoria and were leaving WR and KTMs for dead in the tight stuff, funny stuff. You can easily touch the ground, so on steep hills you just hold her flat out, hang on and she will do the rest...it's awesome fun and recieved a lot of comments from the bigger bikes like "gee that goes alright!". I bought a WR450 in 2003 and to be honest for all round versatility I prefer the DT for most rides, much much better on the road. I rode the WR from Melbourne to Geelong for the day and would never do it again. The DT would easily cover this distance, albeit with a sore bum.

Bottom end is DT200, brake pads and wheels are TTR250, so keep that in mind when buying maintainance items.

Anyway i have a heap of links for anyone interested in parts or info on the DT230, but I get a Spamkiller error when trying to post the links, if anyone can help it would be appreciated. Cheers..

ickydog66

Dec 11, 2007
Hey Bailz I have a 99 dt230 too I am having hassles getting over 110kmh its just had an new top end put in by the prvious owner because it burnt a hole in the piston. I have checked power valve settings and autolube all ok. The bike runs wicked till you hit top gear and it just battles to get the revs, are the oz models restricted at all i see in other forums top speed is pipped at 165!!! any ideas any one??

mikethevigo

Feb 28, 2007
i think its the muffler system, i have one now with standard system and its got nowhere near the power of one i had in the uk with a full skil system on it, ( $800 US ! gulp ) ive modified my original header by taking out the baffles and ive added a more open silencer and changed jetting as im told there is a cat in the the original, but to be honest it makes more noise but dosent go any better,i have no real running issues and it runs cool enough ( i have just returned from an 8 day ride in cambodia ) im considering a wr250 top end conversion ! anyone done it ?

mikethevigo

Feb 28, 2007
Sajjad said:
Hello Everyone,

DT230 Lanza is a wonderful bike, I enjoy riding it on the streets in Srilanka where the traffic is terrible, Parts are freely available through the Yamaha Agent here, They actually get it down from Japan, Found the parts and user manual in the web. Any suggestions whre i could get a service manual please.. Thnks
can you get a performance muffler system there ? thanks

ickydog66

Dec 11, 2007
Yeah probably a pro circuit, but there are a lot of dt 200s around which would probably fit my mates got one that i could probably try if thats what it is

XF650

Mar 1, 2007
DT230 Sprockets

Gidday from NZ
Can anyone help with recconmending replacement sprockets. No genuine DT230 stock in NZ but are they the same as other models? Also has anyone tried going to 15 tooth front?
Only 14 DT230's sold here so dealer knowledge not flash.
Thanks

johnpan

Feb 28, 2009
bailz said:
Anyway i have a heap of links for anyone interested in parts or info on the DT230, but I get a Spamkiller error when trying to post the links, if anyone can help it would be appreciated. Cheers..

Hi bailz, I'm think I'm gonna buy a Lanza, can you email me those links? It's johnnakis at gmail

It would be very helpful if you do, thanks!

bailz

Sep 9, 2007
Hey guys,

Here is some photos of the Pro Circuit performance muffler, it sounds really nice..got a nice note to it now, rather than the athsmatic sound it use to make. Performance is improved throughout the rev range, most noticable around the lower range with more torque.

It is a Pro-Circuit 304 Silencer Part no: SY88200D-304 (DT200)

procircuit(dot)com/store/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=21455&idcategory=264

Bolts right up to DT230, just need exhaust clamp and some maniseal type exhaust sealant.

Needs to be repacked with muffler wool every season, jst unscrew the three bolts at the end and the whole core slides out, very easy to do.

I will find those links and post them shortly..

Last edited:

bailz

Sep 9, 2007
XF650 said:
Gidday from NZ
Can anyone help with recconmending replacement sprockets. No genuine DT230 stock in NZ but are they the same as other models? Also has anyone tried going to 15 tooth front?
Only 14 DT230's sold here so dealer knowledge not flash.
Thanks

Hi XF650,

AFAM do chain and sprocket kits for the DT230. When I replaced mine I ordered the AFAM 520 conversion kit, which upgrades the chain to a more heavy duty o-ring type chain and includes a steel front & rear sprocket.

Have a look here for part numbers, you'll be pleased to know the DT230 sprockets are compatible with many other Yamaha's

afam.co.jp/sprocket_list/ENGLISH/YAMAHA.htm

I run a 13 sprocket front, and 48 rear in 520 size. This combination is good for 140klm/h and excellent for offroad work. The 520 chain pitch is different so a 13T front and 48T rear are much larger sprockets in size than the standard OEM sprockets. From memory the 15T standard sprocket "just fits", but I am going off memory here..which is not so reliable :))

bailz

Sep 9, 2007
Hey guys,

I have started a blog at spareminute(dot)net with some info on the DT230. You can also Google 'dt230 lanza' or 'japan lanza' you will find a lot of info.

Looking up part numbers & diagrams
If you don't have the workshop manual go to yamaha-motor(dot)co(dot)jp/parts-search/index(dot)jsp and you will find all the parts microfiches for the bike. You will need to translate words using Google, but you will get the hang of it.

Ordering parts
I get parts from jp-parts(dot)com very helpful guy and can order in any part you need from Yamaha if he doesn't have it.

Also through trial and error I have found a lot of parts from other models also fit the DT230. Brake pads are TT250, Wiseco forged piston & rings from DT200, Pro circuit muffler from DT200.

I have almost finished my DT230 after a long period of storage. New forged piston & rings, Electrosil bore treatment, new tailight, new brake pads, home brake disc machining :) Hopefully I can get her ready in time to ride to the Moto GP grand prix at Phillip Island this year.

Would love to post a pic, however this site is locked down tighter than fort knox.. (ADMINS - Why can't we post pics??)

chickin

Aug 22, 2009
Thanks bailz. If you would like, send me an email or a PM with your email and we can exchange photos. Great blog about the Lanza, good effort. One of my best friends is making a trek to Philip Island, from Cambodia, for the GP. He is a pro Aussie racer from way back.

bailz

Sep 9, 2007
Hi, looks like you can post pics up to 100KB in total

Attachments

• dt1.jpg
    dt1.jpg
    34.3 KB · Views: 1,058
  • dt2.jpg
    dt2.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 1,093

chickin

Aug 22, 2009
Beautiful bike bailz. I will try to post some pics of mine soon. I am starting to look for mods for the bike. A bit of power. Maybe porting, carb work, pipe, etc. Would like to re-spring and re-valve the suspension for my weight as well. So far, not a lot of leads out there. But I am digging.

middleway

Sep 11, 2009
I have just bought myself I stock as 2001 model 2001 DT230 with only 6000km on the clock. Your not wrong about it being hard to find info, I heard yz125 pipes fit on them? Any particular year?

Welcome to DRN

No trolls, no cliques, no spam & newb friendly. Do it.

Top Bottom