mx547

Ortho doc's wet dream
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 24, 2000
since that time is approaching, i thought i would share this christmas story with everyone. it's a true story, written by my mother, about a christmas from her childhood. she's 72 now.

The Joy of Giving

Christmas was the most wonderful season of the year when I was growing up. Our family was very holiday-oriented.

Besides celebrating the birth of Christ within our family, we always packed up the old car and went to Kansas where we again celebrated joyously with grandma and dozens of aunts, uncles and cousins.

On or about the 15th of November, I would count the money I had earned and saved throughout the year. There was no extra money in our household for gifts, because we had a big family-my parents, five brothers and me-so throughout the year I earned money babysitting and doing chores for neighbors.

This particular year I was very excited. I had saved enough for $1 gifts for each of my parents and 50-cent gifts for each of my brothers!

Probably the most exciting part of selecting gifts was going through the BIG Sears catalog and choosing exactly the right gift for each person.

My parents’ gifts were easy-really nice boxed handkerchiefs for each. My youngest brother would love a little toy and the other would treasure the scratch tablet and colored pencils. My older brothers were more difficult to buy for. Although they seemed very mature, they still loved an excuse to tease me unmercifully. I will never forget the morning that I found the largest beetle from their bug collection nestled in the toe of my shoe…

After a long time of choosing and rejecting items in the catalog, I finally found exactly the right gift for my much admired older brothers. There it was-a miniature Bible about 2 inches by 2 inches and only 50 cents. They would each like to have one of those!

Off went my order to Sears and it arrived complete, around the first of December. Everything was perfect.

Then something happened that changed the mood of Christmas that year.

Two weeks before Christmas, two of my older brothers drowned in an accident, one trying to save the other. I’m sure we still exchanged gifts that year and gave thanks for the birth of Christ, but I really don’t remember. We did go to Kansas, but there was a double funeral and everything seemed quiet and in slow motion.

Many Christmases have come and gone since then, but I have never experienced the same deep joy that I felt when I found those little Bibles in the Sears catalog.

I don’t know what happened to those two extra Bibles that year, but I still firmly believe that my brothers would have liked them-maybe even more than any of their other gifts! And that’s what Christmas is all about-the joy of giving.

(In my mother’s house are some boxes, packed with mementos and treasures from my brothers’ lives. I’ll bet that’s where those Bibles are, waiting for my brothers.)

Tony Eeds

Godspeed Tony.
N. Texas SP
Jun 9, 2002
Wow, thanks!

I told my grandson (almost 5) that we are going to the mall and getting a star off of the Angel Tree for a boy near his age and that I expect him to select all the presents we purchase for him. It is time he learns a bit about giving back.

Sawblade

Timmy Timmy Timmy!
Sep 24, 2000
Thanks for sharing your Moms story with us. :cool:

squeaky

Roosta's Princess
Damn Yankees
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Mar 28, 2003
That is a very touching story. It really makes you appreciate family more, especially around the holidays.

Thanks for sharing that.

bleeds

Oct 17, 2005
WOW. I am a father of 4 boys. I come from a family with 30 grandkids, and 31 great grandkids. Family is everything. I cant even begin to imagine losing a brother, or a son. Make sure you squeeze your mom a little bit harder this year..
Bleeds

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Very appropriate and inspiring. Thanks, Jay.

kmccune

2-Strokes forever
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Jul 3, 1999
Wow that brought me back, the "big Sears catalog" was the stuff of dreams at our house. Thanks for sharing and I hope that you have a wonderful Christmas.

Jul 11, 2005
whoa thanks for sharing that, it was a great story. i know what it feels like losing a brother, it sucks, i was 5 when my bro died. i cant belive i still remember him. i think he was about in his 20s.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
I mentioned this story to a co-worker. She was going to give her kids the chance to share with others to help bring the joy of Christmas to those that may not seem to be able to find the Joy in Christmas.

darringer

LIFETIME SPONSOR
Dec 2, 2001
mx547,
I clicked on your Mom's story immediately after signing in this evening. After reading it and moving on to read other threads, I found myself not able to concentrate on any other threads and I kept returning to this one. Sometimes we get caught up in the day-to-day stuff and forget how special our families are to us. Having suffered a loss in my immediate family this year gives this story a special meaning to me. I thank you for sharing it with us. May God's blessing be with all.

Merry Christmas!
Darrin

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Merry Chrismas, Jay and family!

Jeff Gilbert

N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks for bringing it ttt again. Merry Christmas buddy!

2-Strokes 4-ever

~SPONSOR~
Feb 9, 2005
Missouri
Thank you.
Christmas and Thanksgiving can be some hard times for many people because it brings up memories of family (and the loss OF family). But focusing on the fact that we even HAVE memories is a blessing in and of itself.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
Always good to see this thread! Merry Christmas!

WaltCMoto

Sponsoring Member
Jan 1, 2001
Thanks for sharing.
Its great how your mom could see the joy of there lives instead of the sadness of their untimely passing. My mom (now 85) lost 3 siblings by age 21. I often wonder what kind of people they would have turned out to be.

BSWIFT

Sponsoring Member
N. Texas SP
LIFETIME SPONSOR
Nov 25, 1999
One of the best....

Top Bottom